Actually, Komodo dragons do not have a venom, but there is quite a flora of
bacteria in their saliva that causes its bite to become septic in only a
matter of days. The infection becomes systemic and brings down the prey.
Some sources report that the dragon will follow a prey item for weeks until
Both the Gila monster and the Mexican beaded lizard have a true venom in
their saliva. I don't know if the venom is neurotoxic or necrotic, but
considering its capture technique (grab and hold) it's probably a neurotoxin
that helps to subdue prey items.
I have not seen the SA cover either, but I would think the majority of
reptiles have pretty moist mouths despite the habitat of some species (i.e.,
desert). I have seen several images of geckos with bubbles of saliva around
the lips and tongue. Any snake I've kept that backed off of a
mouse/rat/lizard left a pretty wet mess behind.
But who's to say about the thunder lizards!?
Dr. Mark A. Metz
Center for Biodiversity
Illinois Natural History Survey
607 East Peabody Drive
Champaign, IL 61820
[log in to unmask]