CALONTIR Archives

Historical Recreation in the Kingdom of Calontir

CALONTIR@LISTSERV.NEBRASKA.EDU

From:
Ted Eisenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2014 13:27:07 -0500
 >What I am wondering about it what was the period practice? Would a
scholarly
 >text show the original Arabic inscription along with the English (or
more likely
 >Latin) translation? Or would it only have the translation?
Do a Google search on "polyglot bibles", and look at the images. There
seem to
be quite a few that have two, three, four, and sometimes more languages,
pretty
much side-by-side. I presume that a lot of the scholarly writings about the
Christian Bible would also be in two or more languages, and the ones
I've seen (at
least online) seem to be side-by-side.

I suspect, without much evidence, that Jewish Talmuds (the Five Books of
Moses,
plus commentaries, for those of you who aren't familiar with other
faiths), although written or printed with several columns, were always in
Hebrew, rather than a different language for each column. I shudder to think
of how long it'd be if there was another language included...

And then there's always the Rosetta Stone, with sections in, ummm, Ancient
Egyptian, middle Demotic, and recent Greek ("recent" being the first or
second
century BC)(or something like that), one below the other.

Legal documents? Philosophy works? Chivalric-love poetry? I have no idea.

Alban