SCIART-L Archives

SCIART-L@LISTSERV.NEBRASKA.EDU

From:
"Daniel H. Slone" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 09:56:14 -0400
Hello all,

My name is Daniel Slone, and this is my first message to the list.  I am
a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Florida in Gainesville,
by way of Corvallis Oregon, and previously, Santa Cruz, California.  I
want to say hello to all the list members, and thanks to Elaine Hodges
who probably does not remember it, but taught me carbon dust many years
ago at UCSC.  I still remember that episode as an important moment that
showed that my self-imposed limits on accuracy, grace, and style were
only in my head!

Here's my question:  I was given a set of old Koh-i-noor rapidographs
that were saved from the garbage pile.  I don't know how old they are,
but they are gunmetal grey, with faint gold lettering, gold compression
bands, and colored bands to designate the tip size.  They were all "put
away wet" with a full load of ink in the reservoir.  I would guess they
have been in this condition for at least 5 years.  I'd like to give them
to my young sister-in-law, who will be studying graphic design in
Guayaquil, Ecuador, and can't afford a new set.  Can anyone give advice
on how to properly clean them, and bring them back to life?  I've seen
services that ultrasonically clean tips for a fee, but I'd like to do
this myself if I can.  would the Koh-i-noor tip cleaning solution do any
good?

Thanks,

Dan Slone
--
            Daniel H. Slone <[log in to unmask]>
            Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences