*Inside, Outside, and in Between: Institutionalization in Music History.
Fifth Sibelius Academy Symposium on Music History.*
June 6–8, 2018
Proposal deadline: September 30, 2017
Conference web site URL: https://sites.uniarts.fi/web/inst2018/home
Conference venue: Music Centre Helsinki, Finland
Conference theme: The role of institutions and the institutional process in
The fifth Sibelius Academy symposium on music history focuses on issues
relating to the cultural control and cultural norms that have been—and
still are—established by musical institutions.
Proposals for 20-minute individual papers as well as group sessions of 3 to
4 presenters are invited on any of the following topics:
• The power exerted by cultural institutions
• The institutionalization of music practices
• Close reading of musical scores and institutional practices
• The consecration given to musicians by public or state institutions
• Hierarchical institutions vs. non-hierarchical networks
• Histories of musical institutions
• Institutions and technocracy
• The role of educational institutions
• What counts as a musical institution? When did they first arise?
Keynote speakers of the symposium are
Olle Edström (University of Gothenburg, Sweden): *Music History,
Institutions and Taste – Three Cases: 1800, 1900, and 2000*
Avra Xepapadakou (University of Crete, Greece): *Towards the
Institutionalization of Musical Life in Nineteenth-Century Greece and
Jim Samson (Royal Holloway University of London): *Institutionalizing Music
Theory: Two Historical Moments*
Proposal submission: please use the link https://www.lyyti.in/inst2018-
proposal for submitting your proposal and a short bio by September 30,
• individual presentation proposals: max 2200 characters, incl. spaces;
• panel session proposals: max 2500 characters, incl. spaces + each
panelist’s proposal 2000 characters, incl. spaces.
The organizing committee will be in touch no later than November 3, 2017
with the information about acceptances.
Contact for inquiries (no proposal submissions): inst2018 -at- uniarts.fi
AMS-Announce mailing list and bulletin board:
READ THE GUIDELINES prior to submitting a post: http://www.ams-net.org/announce.php
TO SEE THE ARCHIVED POSTS: http://listserv.unl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=AMS-ANNOUNCE
TO UNSUBSCRIBE, or switch to/from Digest mode: log in to http://listserv.unl.edu and edit your subscription.