Performing Indeterminacy: An International Conference
Friday 30 June - Sunday 2 July 2017
School of Music, University of Leeds
With invited contributions from
Catherine Laws (Pianist and Senior Lecturer, University of York)
Benjamin Piekut (Associate Professor, Cornell University)
Christian Wolff (Composer, Professor of Music and Classics, Emeritus,
We invite submissions that address a wide variety of topics, methodologies,
and questions, including (but not limited to):
- Histories: what is the role of performance and/or performers in the
histories of experimental musics?
- Praxis: is it possible to speak of an indeterminate 'performance
practice'? Where do the exceptions and inconsistencies lie?
- Analysis: (how) can the performance of indeterminate music be analysed in
ways appropriate to its particular modalities?
- Notation: what are the relationships between indeterminate notation and
- Socialities: in what ways does indeterminate music organise collective
- Pedagogies: how do we teach and learn about the performance of
- Indeterminacy outside experimental music: how is indeterminacy in
performance manifest more widely?
- Technologies: (in what ways) have technologies changed our relationship
to indeterminacy in music?
Proposals are invited for:
- Spoken papers (20 minutes followed by 10 minutes of questions)
- Lecture-recitals (35 minutes followed by 10 minutes of questions)
- Performances of relevant works to be presented in a concert
Proposals of 250¬-300 words should be sent as a Word attachment to
performingindeterminacy -at- leeds.ac.uk, should clearly indicate whether
they are for a spoken paper, lecture recital, or performance, and must
include the following: title, author(s), affiliation(s) (if any), email
address for contact, and technical requirements. The deadline for proposals
is Friday 2 December 2016 at midday (GMT).
See https://conference.cageconcert.org/call-for-proposals for more
AMS-Announce mailing list and bulletin board:
READ THE GUIDELINES prior to submitting a post: http://www.ams-net.org/announce.php
TO SEE THE ARCHIVED POSTS: http://listserv.unl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=AMS-ANNOUNCE
TO UNSUBSCRIBE, or switch to/from Digest mode: log in to http://listserv.unl.edu and edit your subscription.