Greetings to All,
The Armorial has been updated to reflect the items in this LOAR.
* Donis Vida. Name and device. Argent, a swan rousant and in canton a saltcellar shedding salt sable, a bordure compony Or and gules.
Nice late 15th century Spanish name!
* Edward Logan de Munro. Device. Per bend sinister azure and sable, in pale a jester's cap conjoined with a mask of comedy within a bordure argent.
* Ellice inghean Mhaoil Ruanaidh. Badge. (Fieldless) An escallop per pale sable and gules.
* Erik Tokesson. Name and device. Per pale azure and argent, two rhinoceroses combattant counterchanged.
Excellent late 15th century Swedish name! Both elements are attested in 1488.
This device is clear of the device of Sabine Dubois, Per pale azure and argent, two unicorns combatant counterchanged. Though the field, postures, and tinctures are identical, and both unicorns and rhinoceroses have a single horn protruding from their heads, we feel that there is sufficient difference in other identifying traits between the two creatures to grant an SC for type.
* Galti Patreksson. Name (see RETURNS for device).
Nice 9th-10th century Icelandic name!
* Gylys mac in Deoradh. Name and device. Azure, three geese migrant one and two Or, in chief three mullets argent.
Submitted as Gylys mac an Deoir, we could find no documentation to support the construction of the byname. Fortunately, commenters provided several period forms of the desired byname meaning "son of a pilgrim." With the submitter's permission, we have changed the name to Gylys mac in Deoradh, using one of the attested period forms of the byname.
This name combines a Scots given name and a Gaelic byname, an acceptable lingual mix under Appendix C.
There is a step from period practice for the use of the migrant posture.
* Jon Chesey. Badge. Gyronny argent and sable, a wedge of cheese reversed Or and a bordure gules.
* Ketill Karlsson. Device. Per fess sable and Or, a roundel and a wolf rampant counterchanged.
* Lelia Corsini. Badge. (Fieldless) An owl per bend purpure and azure maintaining a dagger argent.
* Lelia Corsini. Badge. (Fieldless) An owl vert maintaining a dagger Or.
* Nikolai Gornostai Spiach'ev. Name change from Nikolai Kolpachnik Spiach'ev.
Nice 16th century Russian name!
The submitter's previous name, Nikolai Kolpachnik Spiach'ev, is released.
* Nikolai Gornostai Spiach'ev. Heraldic title Stote Herald.
* Tigernán mac Flainn Uí Fáeláin. Device. Per pale rayonny gules and argent, a natural tiger rampant argent striped sable and a wolf rampant contourny gules.
There is a step from period practice for the use of a natural tiger.
* Vashti al-Ash'ariyah. Name and device. Azure, a lion statant within an orle of Bourchier knots Or.
This name combines a Persian given name with an Arabic byname. On the August 2018 Cover Letter, we stated:
Appendix C currently states that Persian and Arabic can be combined only after 1100 C.E. In response to a submission this month, Ursula Palimpsest provided evidence that Persian and Arabic naming pools substantially overlapped well prior to 1100 C.E. Based on this evidence, we rule that Persian and Arabic can be combined prior to 1100 C.E. and request that Palimpsest update Appendix C accordingly.
Although Ursula Palimpsest is diligently working her way through her very substantial "to do" list, this update has not yet been made. Nevertheless, the ruling on the language combination still applies.
* Bele Anna de Rugé. Badge. Azure, a sperm whale contourny argent.
This badge is returned for conflict with the device of Áedán Aisteach, Azure, a natural dolphin naiant contourny argent, in chief three mullets of four points Or, and with the device of Dorothea de Algarve, Azure, a dolphin naiant to sinister argent and a base embattled argent masoned azure. There's a DC for removal of the secondary charges.
In the March 2000 return of the device of Eirikr inn kengr, Per fess wavy argent and azure, a natural dolphin naiant azure for conflict with the device of André of Stormhold, Argent, a whale naiant azure, it was ruled that "There is a CD for the field, but nothing for the forced change in position on the field and nothing for the difference between a natural dolphin and a whale." We explicitly uphold this ruling and confirm that there is no DC between a natural whale and a dolphin, either heraldic or natural.
* Galti Patreksson. Device. Argent, a dagaz rune sable and a chief gyronny of ten Or and azure.
This device is returned for conflict with Matatias filius Lie Blunde, Argent, a Hebrew letter "resh" and a chief sable. There is a DC for the tincture of the chief, but no difference is granted between different letters/symbols.
Manage your subscription at https://LISTSERV.UNL.EDU