Re: freezing drawers for pest control

Max Barclay <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Feb 2017 12:17:22 +0000

I strongly agree with Luciana that everything should be bagged, in sealed bags, and allowed to return to room temperature before being removed from bags- otherwise you risk condensation on the pins, on the glass etc. this can warp your lids or rot your specimens! Sealed drawers may protect the specimens in much the same way as a bag- but the drawers themselves may still suffer as may any labels or adhesives on the outside of the drawer- if the drawer is not bagged.

Max

Sent from my iPhone

On 25 Feb 2017, at 00:44, "Brown, Richard" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your informative postings.  We chose to put pinned specimens in cardboard or schmitt boxes into the –80 freezer, and the material that was pointed or in drawers in two regular freezers that are -15–20°F.  As some boxes have evidence of dermestid damage, we’re freezing them for two weeks.  I think this precludes the need to take them out of freezer for a few days and then refreeze them.  I thank ECN for providing this forum.

-- Richard L. Brown
Mississippi Entomological Museum
Box 9775 (100 Old Highway 12)
Mississippi State, MS 39762
PH:  662-325-2990
Cell: 662-694-0174

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve on behalf of Jeff Stephenson
Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 2:49 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>"
Subject: Re: freezing drawers for pest control

Hello,
It’s a matter of temperature and time.  We run our pest management freezer at -30C, bag the drawers (for thawing), and leave them in for 14 days.  No problems with drawers, glass, adhesives, or specimens have been encountered.  It’s a matter of how much time you want to commit; we do it to be as safe as possible, but run a strict schedule for placement and removal.  Lower temperatures can mean shorter duration, but I agree that ultracold temps can cause damage.

JEFF STEPHENSON
COLLECTIONS MANAGER, ZOOLOGY DEPARTMENT

<image001.jpg><http://www.dmns.org/>

W  303.370.8319
F   303.331.6492

2001 Colorado Blvd., Denver CO 80205

preserve,<http://community.dmns.org/content/OnlineCommunity.aspx> present, inspire, explore

www.dmns.org

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD)<http://www.scfd.org/>.