LISTSERV Archives

SCARABS-L Home

SCARABS-L  July 2018, Week 4

SCARABS-L July 2018, Week 4

Re: The Scarabs Newsletter

Alberto Ballerio <[log in to unmask]>

Scarab Beetle Taxonomy Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Jul 2018 22:50:52 +0200

text/plain

..a point which absurdly seems not to have been considered (and this is
serious provided that we are in a scientific context) is that those pdfs
contained valuable scientific information and that the majority of authors
who published there did it in good faith. So they should have been
consulted before being humiliated that way. Now all such imformation has
disappeared. Please always rememeber that the past is the past, maybe
somebody made mistakes (I am not however convinced that the contents were
insulting), however saying "from now onwards we won't tolerate ..." could
be ok, saying that we must cancel also what happened in the past (...and
for over ten years it seems that nobody bothered about the issue)  is not
appropriate at all. Basically doing things like this is more or less
equivalent to burning books because they contain information which is not
aligned with the mainstream ideology or bombing ancient monuments because
they offend a religion.
So, I hope that the scientific reason will eventually prevail over
ideological issues and that we could have access again to the pdfs. I am
not completely contrary to a policy for the future, but, once again, the
past is the past.
Finally a reflection on what Barney Streit wrote about newsletters, i.e.
that the era of newletters is over. It seems that journals which play the
same role of Scarabs (more or less..), such as Antenna or American
Entomologist, are still doing well. I agree that internet, and above all
new communication tools such as facebook or twitter, are posing a very
strong threat to traditional publishing of newsletters (because of their
sometimes "epehemeral" contents), however we must consider that
traditional publishing still compels people to think twice about what they
are writing and to write it in a comprehensive way, and this is a very
good thing because it teaches us to think. The new communication tools
such as facebook or twitter, on the contrary, leave much more room to
superficiality and impulsiveness. I am pretty sure that there is a
connection between the current worldwide rise of intolerance and populism
and the presence of facebook and twitter as the main means of
communication accessible to people.  What happened to Scarabs is just a
small example.
Regards,
Alberto