SCIART-L Archives

SCIART-L@LISTSERV.NEBRASKA.EDU

From:
Janet Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:52:42 -0500
Okay, I just emailed an incredibly long rant about science illustration and Nature Journal that I think got lost in cyberspace!

Rather than repeat the WHOLE THING, I will just mention an article in Nature Journal, 30 January 2003 issue that wasn't so flattering. The cover title says "Scientific illustration Can you believe your eyes?" and inside, the title is "Is a picture worth 1,000 words?" It's by Julio M. Ottino, R.R. McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science, Northwestern University.

It's a critique that much of the science art that is published today is "divorced from science and science plausibility."

Janet Wilkins