SCIART-L Archives

SCIART-L@LISTSERV.NEBRASKA.EDU

From:
Nancy Creeden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:19:12 -0400
I have been mulling over posting this note to the group for your thoughts.
 While finishing school I happened on a job chance that would afford me the
opportunity to get my work published.  I accepted the job at a low rate  ( I
know, but  what was I to do).....anyhow, I discussed what they wanted and
faxed the roughs to them and they accepted.  I had the job done in 4 days, as
they wanted it yesterday.  The artwork was for use in a trade show display.
 The contract   ( remember still in school)... was a standard form I pulled
from the Bussiness Forms for Artist and copied and put in box with original
artwork and invoice.    This was in March.  I sent them 3 copies of the
contract and invoice, then called, and got paid,but no contract returned and
signed.  Sent another copy registered mail....( in the meanwhile I called and
talked with the Art Director's Assistant who said we'll fax that right out
it's on her desk blahblah.)  Nada!
I finally demanded nicely to speack to the Art Director, she got on the phone
and said she never saw a contract like this, and had some problems with it.
 So I asked what problems, and she went on about my ownership of work and she
felt we agreed on usage for brochures etc.  I said no, we only agreed on
trade show display.

Now at an impass, she said "well we wouldn't use it other than for show and
would send me artwork and contract back."   I recieved artwork balled up in a
box bent and stuffed with paper.  The contract was included UNSIGNED by the
Art Director.  She did however send a cover letter saying they would use it
only for the Trade Show.

So I learned to not work cheap, and not to trust Art
Directors......especially ones that refer to their inhouse Artist as "the
guy". FAX THEM THE CONTRACT TO SIGN BEFORE THE ART LEAVES MY HANDS! And I
guess I will be looking at any medical literature very carefully to see if my
artwork turns up  without my consent.

Thanks for letting me vent!  Sincerely, Nancy Creeden