SCIART-L Archives

SCIART-L@LISTSERV.NEBRASKA.EDU

From:
kat cruickshank <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 17:36:31 -0500
Lynette Cook wrote:

>Also, does anybody have any thoughts or recommendations regarding
archival
>inks? My feeling is to go with regular inks to keep price down and then
>suggest to buyers that they frame with UV plex or glass. I don't believe
>that Epson makes archival inks yet, and if you use non-Epson cartridges
and
>have a problem, it could invalidate the warranty.

Hi Lynette,

I've been using non-archival inks and papers for my portfolio for about
two
years now. The inks are definitely not lightfast..so much so, that I can't
in good conscience sell prints that I make on the Epson, except as
notecards. Framing in UV glass might help a bit, but it would only slow
down the inevitable fading.  I would particularly be worried in the case
of
your astronomical images, which have such deep blacks and saturated
colours. An Epson print hung behind plain glass in a bright, sunlit
location will fade to near invisibility in about 3 weeks. (This was
discovered when I used Epson prints as show posters in fishing tackle shop
windows last year. The posters were printed on the matt-finish "High
Quality" paper; I haven't done a similar longevity test with the glossy
photo paper, but I understand it is somewhat longer lived -- not much
though, probably. )

This is why I'm interested in the archival inks and papers. Even on my
humble little Stylus 600 I can get results worth selling, if I knew the
picture would last more than a month =). (I drool when I think of the
six-colour models....)

This printer has been a godsend for portfolio and business card purposes,
though! I have already been using third-party non-archival inks in the
Epson and have had no problems. One pointer I remember reading is that you
must purge the printer of the regular ink once you change ink types, to
avoid any possibility of bad chemical interactions (and non-archival
"dilution"). You do this by printing out a few pages of solid C, M, Y, and
K once you put in the new cartridges. Probably worth doing even if you put
the same ink type in when you change.

Bookmarks to follow. They were sent to me as an Internet Explorer file,
and
I will make a Netscape version and upload both.

kat

K.G. (Kat) Cruickshank, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Artistic and technical fish illustration.
http://www.danica.com/kat