SCIART-L Archives

SCIART-L@LISTSERV.NEBRASKA.EDU

From:
Gretchen Halpert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 May 1997 13:16:01 -0400
To Kathy Evans looking for methods of cutting cross sections of grass stems...

Hi Kathy.  What level of observation are you looking for?  Detailed
histology?  Dissecting or compound scope photography?  ( I assume not at
the SEM level). You can try freezing the tissue, but you will lose
morphology (fix the tissue, embed it in a mounting media like OCT and
section it on a cryostat).  I would reccomend fixing it, embedding it in
paraffin and cutting it on a microtome.  There are fixatives specific for
plant tissues that penetrate the cellulose-don't know any off the top of my
head, but probably a formalin/alcolhol/acetic acid combination.  I can find
out if you need me to.  Of course, you can't really do this at home, but
most universities and hospitals have a histology department with the
solutions and cutting equipment (microtome) you need.You can also stain the
section with nifty colored stains to differentiate between cell types. Good
luck!

Gretchen Halpert