SCIART-L Archives

SCIART-L@LISTSERV.NEBRASKA.EDU

From:
Amelia Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:44:21 -0500
Hi Bruce,

Such a small world! Yes, they still have the Tulip Festival over in
Holland, complete with klompen dancers and olibollen. I've never
actually been and have my doubts about the authenticity of it all.
Mieke, do they have olibollen (fat balls) in the Netherlands?

Holland has changed a lot in recent years. It's gotten quite touristy
(part of that whole Fourth - or is it Fifth?- coast phenomenon).
There actually are several brewpubs downtown, which once would've
been unthinkable. Plus they've been having troubles with gang
violence. Surprises even the locals. But it's a nice area and Ottawa
County now has several large parks along the Lake Michigan shore with
ancient series of dunes still intact. Kinda unique.

Thanks for making the connection!
Amelia

On Nov 26, 2006, at 10:40 PM, Bruce Bartrug wrote:

> Amelia,
>
> I attended Adrian College in Michigan back in the early sixties, so
> know of what you speak.  I played golf for the college (a sport
> that originated in the Netherlands now that I think about it) and
> had the opportunity to visit many of the towns in southern
> Michigan.  Many of the students at Alna College in Holland
> (Michigan) had Dutch names.  Is there still a tulip festival in
> Holland every Spring?
>
> Bruce
>
> On 11/26/06, Amelia Hansen <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Mieke,
>
> I knew you were a woman, too. Not sure how, maybe your writing voice.
> There's a wildlife artist living here in Michigan who's from the
> Netherlands and his name is Gijsbert Frankenhuizen (related to
> Gijsberdina, I would guess). He goes by Nick. And my sister-in-law is
> named Billie, but it's just Billie and not short for Wilhemina in her
> case. Come to think of it, another sister-in-law's maiden name was
> Roth.
>
> Lots and lots of Dutch families here in southwest Michigan. The names
> VanderVeen, Hoekstra, DeNooyer, Kraak, Hoogstraten, Molenaar, DeVos
> (I could go on!) are more common here than Hansen.
>
> Amelia

Amelia Hansen Illustration
PO Box 19434
Kalamazoo, MI  49019