Annual Reviews is seeking to add another full-time Illustration Editor to our team of 7 staff illustrators. It's a great place to work! See posting below.
Senior Illustration Editor
A NonProfit Publisher
Palo Alto, CA
OPEN POSITION: ILLUSTRATION EDITOR
Annual Reviews is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping scientists
the world over cope with the ever-increasing volume of scientific research
and data. Our mission<http://www.annualreviews.org/page/about/our-mission-and-our-founder> is to provide the scientific community with a useful
and intelligent synthesis of the primary research literature for a broad spectrum
of scientific disciplines. Annual Reviews publications are among the most highly
cited in the scientific literature, and are available in print and online materials
to individuals, institutions and consortia throughout the world.
We are currently seeking a FT Illustration Editor in our Palo Alto office.
* Determining the suitability of submitted images and the best means of improving
or readying images for use in print and online.
* Creating, revising, enhancing, and finalizing images for use in print and online.
This may include rendering from sketches.
* Establishing good relations with authors, editors, production editors, and vendors
using tact and flexibility.
* Ensuring consistent presentation of published graphics by performing quality
checks throughout the production cycle.
This position offers a broad exposure to book and Web publishing and is an
opportunity to acquire hands-on editorial and production experience.
Qualified candidates must have:
* B.A. Graphic Arts or equivalent experience. Must present a strong portfolio of
vector artwork with a concentration in scientific illustration and information graphics.
* 3–5 years experience in managing a variety of graphics production activities.
* Successful demonstration of technical expertise is essential.
Demonstrated proficiency of graphics software on a Mac platform, including
Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat, as well as Windows and MS Office.
Must be able to create and edit vector graphics; convert a variety of incoming
file formats; use layers, channels, and masks; and scan, manipulate, and edit
images. Strong typographic skills (manual kerning, leading, formatting sub-
and superscripts, for example) are very important. Intermediate MS Word capability
is also essential.
* Effective and tactful communicator.
* A background or interest in science is preferred, and experience in publishing
or an academic environment is a plus.
If you possess the above requirements, please submit your cover letter, resume, and portfolio (PDF or link) by applying online<http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH12/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ANNUALREVIEWS&cws=1&rid=41>.
Annual Reviews is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at