SCIART-L Archives

SCIART-L@LISTSERV.NEBRASKA.EDU

From:
Jaynie Martz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 13:24:56 -0500
> sand a fiberglass boat a little to get some tooth for the paint to
> grip. Marine paint is generally pretty toxic too. A lot of it has
> anti-fouling agents to retard algal and animal growth. It handles pretty
> well, but you may be pretty limited in color choices. Rust red,
battleship
> grey, that sort of thing.

Kirsten,

If you choose marine paints (extremely expensive), be sure to wear
breathing filters.... I helped refinish a sailboat from the hull out...
many layers(7) of fiberglass paint plus marine paints. Am trying to
remember if the marine paints included sealant. I am almost positive
they do, but whatever your choice of paint (you might try the new
faster drying oil paints....oil and water don't mix), I would certainly
top it off with 3 to 5 layers of clear sealant....marine varnish. It might
be worth the time to experiment with mixing regular oil paints with the
marine
varnish or marine paints to see how they interact before you begin
applying it to the boat. The growth retardants may cause some
bizarre catalytic action...eat into oil paint.....grow warts....: )

I'm assuming the boat is in dry dock at the moment and you will
have a month or so to paint, dry, varnish. Boat work is slow
business but if you have enough time for the paint to dry well
before applying varnish layers all should go well.
Good luck with this project. Can you tell us what your subject
matter will be?

Also, Cindy Shaw is a sailboat owner....maybe she can give you
some valuable tips.

Jaynie