SCIART-L Archives

SCIART-L@LISTSERV.NEBRASKA.EDU

From:
Karen Ackoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 21:16:40 -0600
Elaine wrote in regard to 1-ply bristol:
>I found it bent and wrinkled very easily.  What do you people do to prevent
>that when it is in 23x28 sheets?  Cut it down carefully?

When working with anything, 1-ply or heavier, I always tape it down to a
piece of foamcore board. This keeps the paper from getting wrinkled or
damaged, especially the edges.

I used to use bristol almost exclusively for pen and ink... but found at
one point that the size Strathmore was using seemed to have changed (about
15 years ago). The surface was not always uniform, and would even resist
the ink in places. And I was using technical pens and the requisite
technical pen ink, so this should not have happened. I haven't used bristol
recently so I don't know if this is still the case.

I now use Denril... and find it inks beautifully and is quite forgiving (I
can scratch and ink, and then scratch and ink again -- and there is no
shiny surface). As for the little pieces of plastic that appear when you
scrape... I gently lift them off with a kneaded eraser once the ink is
really, really dry. And my drawings scan with no difficulty -- the ink
lines are clear and well defined.

Karen

Karen Ackoff
Asst. Professor of Fine Arts