SCIART-L Archives

SCIART-L@LISTSERV.NEBRASKA.EDU

From:
JoanH Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 08:59:54 -0400
Tad Crawford addresses these concerns in several of his books on legal
concerns for artists and illustrators. His books are available in
libraries and bookstores. You can copy the contracts and use as is or
you can tweak them to your own situation. One of his books is LEGAL
GUIDE FOR THE VISUAL ARTIST (Allworth Press, North Light Books). He
provides definitions, examples, and tips. His sections on negotiation
checklists for different kinds of jobs are alone worth the price of
these books, which are not very expensive to begin with.

You can also use a "confirming letter." I haven't done this in years
but the gist is that you are making a contract simply by sending a
letter confirming what you and the client have already agreed upon. The
client will sign one copy (you send two) and return it to you if all is
in agreement. Since your signature is on the first letter, you need not
sign again and send back to client. I found this a bit of a bother and
sometimes forgot to include information that I should have. Forms were
more reliable.

Also, you can check with Lawyers for the Arts. They have chapters in
San Francisco, Chicago, and New York.

I have found the following three books a necessity in my studio: Ralph
Mayer's, THE ARTISTS HANDBOOK;  The GNSI HANDBOOK;  and Crawford's.
LEGAL GUIDE.

Joan