SCIART-L Archives

SCIART-L@LISTSERV.NEBRASKA.EDU

From:
Karen Ackoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2016 13:50:30 -0500
I have a question regarding framing… When framing a painting on board or canvas, what do you use, if anything, to seal the wood that touches the painting?

I ask because I’m starting to frame some egg tempera paintings, and there is about 1.4-inch overlap. I’ve always read that the wood should be sealed where it touches the painting. There is a framer’s tape that is adhesive-backed with a foil layer. But I’ve heard from other egg tempera people, that this has stuck to the egg tempera painting and the painting then required repair. I suppose this might work better depending on how long the painting cures (egg tempera dries rapidly, but can take about 9 or 10 months to fully cure).

I suppose shellac could be used but don’t know if it, too, might stick. Other possibilities would be Filmoplast-P90 tape, which is an archival white paper tape, but it might breathe enough to transfer any acid from the wood to the painting. My next best guess would be acrylic gesso, left to cure for at least a week… the gesso I know seals well as I use it to repair water stains on dry wall.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Karen