SCIART-L Archives

SCIART-L@LISTSERV.NEBRASKA.EDU

From:
Lynette Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2011 10:50:29 -0700
>  If you wrap the wooden frames in either small bubble wrap, or just
> cardboard to keep them from rubbing against the next, bind them up
> tight to prevent a lot of rubbing. pack them in a box.... It would
> make a larger box,

For the show I just had in MS, I used the StrongBoxes for shipping my
15 paintings. I was able to get 3-4 in each 8" wide box if I packaged
properly. Generally this meant wrapping each painting in a plastic
bag, putting same size paintings together with a sheet of cardboard in-
between, and then wrapping the group of paintings together on the ends
and in the middle with the stretchy, clear "shrink wrap" type of tape
that sticks to itself. This was so that each stack of 3 or 4 paintings
was like one unit and would shift in the box as one painting rather
than several rubbing back and forth against each other.

On the paintings with wooden frames I also put a strip of the thin
foam sheeting around both ends for further protection outside the
plastic bag. (When space is at a premium the small bubbles are still
too big. And they pop too easily.)

It took 6 boxes to get all 15 paintings there - 4 large with 3-4
artworks each and 2 small boxes with 1 painting each. Don't know if
this method would be best for an international show, but I feel
confident that I shipped with the lowest weight, the smallest sized
boxes possible for framed art, and with no damage. (As far as I know,
anyway, as the unsold pieces arrive back tomorrow. There was no damage
incurred on the trip *to* MS.)

As for other matters, I remember when the Guild had an exhibit in
Europe - was it Portugal? - I sent a painting. Followed all the
directions and even went to downtown San Francisco to get an official
stamp on some customs paperwork. Then a few weeks after return of the
art saw a charge on my AmEx bill for some other charge that I'd never
heard of before - something to do with my art entering the foreign
country or leaving it (memory fades). And it was a hefty fee, too.
AmEx disputed it and apparently never got any answer, for it was
finally removed from my bill. But I was aware that there was still
some bureaucracy that expected another fee to be paid. This is a long
way of saying to do your homework in this area.

Lynette