LISTSERV Archives

STAT_BOOT Home

STAT_BOOT  February 2006, Week 3

STAT_BOOT February 2006, Week 3

Many questions

Jackie Wroughton <[log in to unmask]>

Bootstrap course listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:28:36 -0600

text/plain

We will do our best to ask these over the messageboard.

#1f
Slightly confused by this question since inside the grav.fun function we
are getting the jackknife empirical influence values for each of the
resamples but with grav.L only getting them for the data.  What exactly
should we compare, the method or the number of values that we get or both?

#2b
We believe that if there was a consistent linear relationship, it would be
stable, thus we think it is unstable due to the trumpet shape (i.e.
variance increasing with the mean)  Is this on the right track?

#2c
Could you explain this one a bit more.  We are having a hard time since we
are actually plot the sqrt(var) and the variance itself.  Also, should we
use the idea that var(T) is proportional to the mean squared?

#2d
Should we be using v.boot <-var(boot.res.m$t) or equation 3.38.  Just
wanting to make sure - we think equation 3.38

Double check that when one samples from the residuals that we do not care
which sample it came from in the first place.  I.e. if we use the estimated
mean from sample one we can still get a residual from sample 2

Thanks,
Jackie, April, and Kendra