LISTSERV Archives

5BANKSTREET Home

5BANKSTREET  March 2007

5BANKSTREET March 2007

Re: Cather's Medical Records

jgabriel <[log in to unmask]>

5 Bank Street: The Listserv for Willa Cather Scholars

Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:35:15 -0500

text/plain

Becky et al,

Thank you so much for this information - I was obviously not
involved in Cather studies in 1998 and who knows how long it
might have taken me to begin looking into past colloquiums!

Also, thanks to Melissa for the reference to O'Brien's
article - I am aware of it, as well as Trowse's article on
Cather's portrayal of the medical profession in her novels
(Willa Cather's Condition).  I've not discovered other
articles that deal specifically with illness and/or the
medical profession in Cather - if any of you have leads in
that direction, please do tell!  A large part of my
dissertation involves trying to answer questions previously
raised (in both O'Brien and Trowse) regarding Cather's
relationship to illness and the medical profession.

As Becky mentions, I have contacted Jo Ann Middleton
(through Merrill) regarding the possibility of getting hold
of the records.  Her response, as noted in my first email,
is that they remain privileged.  However, she also suggested
I try to find someone who has managed to "spring" medical
records for another author who may have had interested
family still involved.  I know many of you do very good work
with other authors and figured it was worth a shot to put
the question out there.

With many thanks,
Gabriel