SCIART-L August 2008

Re: Your thoughts please

Frank Ippolito <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:04:41 -0400

text/plain

interesting ideas about iconography, chuck. I'll have to chew on that a
while. if true, it would be a far more fundamental paradigm shift than
the communication media rewire.what we see is certainly an extension of
the visual world that I was born into as a b-boomer. tv commercials
started out as 2 minute epics but by the time I was entering college,
the 30 spot was quite common. now 30 seconds seems like forever. icons
like peace signs and iconic photographs like that poor saigon girl who
was hit by napalm convey both memory and meaning to those who lived
through that time.

I am ambivilant about the dumbing down question - though the example you
and cindy developed seems to be anything but. to the point of
communication that truly dumbs down the message: do we teach by adding
to the S/N ratio or do we offer a place and a pace that restricts the
pipeline to make sure the message is not muddied; that the information
is actually conveyed? something keeps tugging at the corner of my mind
that whispers rather than screams about the need to step into silence to
hear your own inner voice. all that stimuli excites but it might not
teach so well. and it certainly leaves no room for reflection. I have
made conscious decisions to not listen to radio and avoid TV much of the
time in the evenings. the internet snuck in when I wasn't looking. I
feel like I've lost a little traction lately on following my own muse.

meike, perhaps you can draw your inspiration from the ideas being
introduced during this year's opening keynote's talk - how imagery can
change how an entire population understands their world. the view of the
blue marble earth rise that was beamed back to earth has become the most
reproduced photograph in history (I am told.) it caused a fundamental
shift in how we as a species comprehends its world. it is both an icon
and a symbol now. many science illustrations have done so in smaller -
but equally important - measure.

-frank

--

 Frank Ippolito