Re: project 4

Chris Bilder <[log in to unmask]>

STAT 875 Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Apr 2009 14:03:43 -0500

text/plain

Rita,

Yes, it is possible to have different p-values like those.  The placekicking data
set example in Chapter 5 when only distance was used as an explanatory
variable is one place where you have seen this happened.  Still, it does not
happen much.  What would normally be done in this type of case is to
determine what EVPs are causing the G^2 to be so large by checking out the
deviance residuals.  Since you are not responsible for the deviance residuals
that were briefly discussed in class, it is up to you if you would like to
proceed.

If I understand your description of the second problem correctly, I would not
expect this to happen.  If two EVPs both have 10 observations and one has 5
successes out 10 trials and the other has 6 out of 10 with just about the
same EVPs, I would expect them to have similar residuals.  However, their EVP
differences could lead you to an explanation for why this happening and
perhaps a possible resolution to the problem.

I hope the above is not too general and gives you some guidance for how to
proceed.  Perhaps what you need to do is go back to the actual formulas for
these measures and try to make sense of why it is happening.

Chris