SCIART-L March 2010

Re: new tubes of WC paint

Kathleen Garness <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:18:31 -0500

text/plain

Consie: I second what Patricia says; just scrape it off the top of
the tube until you get down to good pigment.

A complaint to the manufacturer isn't much use since they're all huge
corporations within larger corporations nowadays. : / But that's
worth a try if you have the time. Sometimes they'll send you a new
tube just to keep you as a customer. I've had mixed results with that
approach. Or you can return it to the store and ask for a
replacement! : )

Patricia, what brands are your students using that you're finding
this problem in?

Kathy G

On Mar 24, 2010, at 2:04 PM, Patricia Savage wrote:

> The yellowish goo is gum arabic. Manufacturers frequently add too
> much because it's cheaper than the cost of the pigment. Some
> pigments are heavier and require extra gum arabic to aid in their
> flow, so you come to expect a couple of extra drops in the top of
> that particular kind.
>
> I usually squirt the gum out and add a large dollop of pigment and
> then mix them together, which leaves me with a too large area of
> paint on my palette. Recently I have found that some of my
> student's pigments contain too much arabic and never really dry.
> They stay sort of liquidy and a tad runny.
>
> Cheers,
> Patricia Savage
> 816 Valerie Dr.
> Raleigh, NC 27606
> www.psavageartist.com
> 919-859-2789
>

> Consie Powell wrote:
>> What do other folks do in this situation? I have just gotten some
>> new tubes of paint (the particular ones are gouache, of very good
>> quality, but this has happend with transparent watercolor too...)
>> and a few of them are exhibiting a situation I've had happen
>> before. When I go to squeeze paint onto the palette for the first
>> time, out first comes a runny squirt of often yellowish goo, which
>> I presume is gum arabic. Often it is mixed somewhat with the
>> pigment, but is way more dilute than the pigment is supposed to
>> be. Often I can tell that this is the case when I first open the
>> tube, as I can see it. What do others of you do when this happens?
>> (I'm presuming I'm not the only one who has seen this...)
>>
>> thanks.....Consie

> instructions at
> http://citnews.unl.edu/presentmethods_lana/listserv/index.html

change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."  -
Margaret Mead