SCIART-L Archives

SCIART-L@LISTSERV.NEBRASKA.EDU

From:
Elaine Hodges <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sciart-L Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:55:13 -0500
Pat, and others,
  Do you have the list of books Norm put in the Newsletter?  He
and Britt also published extensive listings on Sciart-L last year,
but I guess this list was repeated in the Newsletter.
  Be sure and include Ann Blum's THE ART OF NATURAL HISTORY - tho I
may have the name wrong and am not in my office to check.  Came out
a few years ago and is very extensive.  Also, I am in process of
collecting books about Beatrix Potter, who was an excellent scientist
and scientific illustrator, studying and painting fungi, lichens, and
algae.  Yes, the Peter Rabbit Beatrix Potter.  She went to children's
books after males refused to let her work in science because she was
female.  She discovered the relationship between lichens and algae, but
was unable to publish this major discovery.  A male got the credit when
he later published the idea.  If any of the books about her seem useful
to scientific illustrators, I will send you a name or two.  There is a
good article about Potter in NATURAL HISTORY, Oct. 1972, the American
Museum magazine.
  Best to all,
  Elaine

Elaine R.S. Hodges, Scientific Illustrator
MRC 169, National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, D.C. 20560
Phone: 202-357-2128, Fax: 202-786-2894