Re: Letters!

Diane Prenatt <[log in to unmask]>

5 Bank Street: The Listserv for Willa Cather Scholars

Mon, 10 Jun 2013 16:46:25 +0000

text/plain

Pardon me! Error in my post addressed to Becky: Sergeant returned from France in May 1919, not 1920, as I'm sure readers of her memoir remember.

Thinking too much about the 1920s today . . .

-----Original Message-----
From: 5 Bank Street: The Listserv for Willa Cather Scholars [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Diane Prenatt
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2013 9:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [5BANKSTREET] Letters!

Hi, Becky

I'm working on a biography of Sergeant and can perhaps partially answer your questions.

Cather and Sergeant were very friendly from 1910 until Sergeant was sent to France as a correspondent for the New Republic in 1917. When she returned in 1920, they continued on friendly terms, but the friendship had cooled noticeably, and they didn't see each other nearly as often. (Sergeant was also away from NYC for long periods of time in the 1920s and '30s.) Those wonderful letters Cather sent ESS from Winslow are very much the best of the lot; it was not a lifetime correspondence.

I read the ESS/Lowell correspondence a couple of years ago and would have to review my notes to be sure, but my memory is that the subject of Cather doesn't come up often between them. I do know that there is a Cather letter, I believe to Mabel Dodge Luhan, in which she writes that she has just learned that Lowell died, and she will have to apologize to ESS because she recently said some snide things about Lowell in ESS's presence--at a dinner party, I believe. The reference, while brief, is very sympathetic.

Diane