]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CALONTIR Home

CALONTIR  June 2013

CALONTIR June 2013

PENNSIC updates -Forwarding from another list

Julia da Brescia <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Jun 2013 23:00:12 -0500

text/plain

If you didn't already know, here's the latest from the East.

>Drastic Changes for Pennsic 42:  Good & Bad News from the Pennsic Mayor
Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:23 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Gy. G. R. Dioguardi" edessasca
> Drastic Changes for Pennsic 42:
> Good & Bad News from the Pennsic Mayor

> Originally posted by the East Kingdom Seneschal
*[Forward to other lists]
**[Reformatted for easy reading.]

> [...]

> More good news: All the activities previously held in the Barn will be held in the new Great Hall, a 165' x 65' foot structure the Coopers have build on the west side of block N01 in the Serengeti.
>
> As in previous years there is NO using electrical outlets in any Cooper building or Pennsic facility for charging (cell phones, laptops etc.).
> Good News: if you are volunteering at a Pennsic point, you may be allowed to charge your cell phone while you are doing your volunteer shift. If you have a medical need for use of electricity check with Disability Services.
>

> Good News: There is a new well to support the increased demand for water, and all water at Cooper's Lake is now chlorinated for your safety.
>

> Bad news: there is still iron in the water, and it still turns brown, but it is just iron and will not hurt you.
>

> More good news: the Coopers are building an expanded water treatment facility that will also filter out the iron, but that will not cover the entire campground yet. Stay tuned for next year.
>

> VERY IMPORTANT NEWS: any group or individual that leaves their campsite trashed after Pennsic will lose their land seniority! Over the last few years the number of campsites that have been left trashed (furniture abandoned, ground littered, trenches and pits not filled in, and even fires left burning) has been growing. Please leave your site as good or better than you found it! Your whole group will be penalized if the land is left a mess.
>

> Because Pennsic is closing down one day earlier than in previous years, most all activities are moving up one day earlier:
> • Classes start on Tuesday of Peace Week,
> • Opening Ceremonies are on Saturday the 27th,
> • Combat begins on Sunday of War Week.

> Nonessential Pennsic facilities will begin closing on the last Thursday evening/Friday morning. Plan your last night parties for Thursday or Friday night.

> Everyone must leave site on Saturday. Good News: you have an extra day to get home and unpack.
>

> I know these seem like a lot of changes, and that most people resist change. Over the 29 years that I have been attending Pennsics, I have seen this event grow and change considerably. The Serengeti was once a cornfield and the battles were on Runestone Hill, then it became a parking lot, later it was the battlefield, now it is camping space. Once upon a time classes were only held in the main bath house, now we have an entire university.
>

> Pennsic has weathered and adapted and grown to be the largest event in the Known World, and as we continue to grow and adapt we will likely have more changes. I think we get better and better each year with each change. Especially when we can all work together to make the magic that is Pennsic.
>
> I wish you all a happy and safe Pennsic; the Pennsic Staff and I will do our utmost to make it so. I look forward to seeing you all in July--old friends, and new friends, and friends not yet met.

Julia da Brescia