SCIART-L July 2013

Re: Exclusive Rights for Exhibit Use

Britt Griswold <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Jul 2013 01:19:17 -0400

Natalya,

You will want to ask them to "modify" that No Sharing or Posting section. Many client/institutions have no problems with the artist posting examples of their work as long as the finished product has been made public. Maybe if you specify that during the exclusive phase of the art use, you could only post images less than a certain number of pixels, and identifying who the work was originally done for.

But since you really are giving them a license to use the work exclusively for a specified period, you should be asking to replace that clause with "no posting or sharing before the exhibit opening." Or add in "no high resolution images that would allow reproduction. " if they baulk.

If they want to take away your ability to publicize your ability to create work by not allowing you to display published work, they are asking you to be harmed financially, so you should charge them for the privilege unless they agree to modify the clause.

Or it might be easier to leave the clause as is and add in one of your own that says the institution is giving written consent within this contract for you to use the images in the (non-sales) promotion of your services in all media between the time the exhibit is opened until their license runs out. If they balk, give back "merchandise" promotion, or add an image size limit. That way the consent they want you to get is given upfront for the uses you need. just an idea...

I am afraid others will have to speak up about what they did with this sort of issue, or if my ideas have a chance of success. I have never run into this problem.

Britt

----- Original Message -----
From: Natalya Zahn [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:46:45 -0400
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Exclusive Rights for Exhibit Use

Linda and Emily,

Thank you so much for this valuable information! I am indeed being paid by a project management contractor, which is separate even than the exhibit design firm. there are an awful lot of cooks in this kitchen! Which makes all of these negotiations take a VERY long time. I'm doing my best to be organized and firm about my position, and I really want to understand what I can reasonably be negotiating for since it's just me in the room with whole boards full of people angling for THEIR best interests (and lowest costs).

I do know this is expressly NOT a work for hire situation, and so far they seem receptive to my few problems with their contract language (like the requesting of a full copyright transfer).

*How do you all handle the portion of the contract that deals with "Announcements/Promotions/Sharing"? I'm fine with not broadcasting work that isn't complete, but when it IS complete - and the exhibit live to the public - I'd like the ability to announce the project on my blog, or post images in my personal online portfolio. As it stands, the contract verbiage lumps that kind of action under - "NO SHARING OR POSTING, unless you get the institution's written consent". Is that normal?

**Both of your portfolios are beautiful, BTW. :)

Cheers,
-Natalya