CALONTIR December 2013

Re: Busy Sunday 12/5?

Stefan li Rous <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Dec 2013 20:34:52 -0600

text/plain

On Dec 5, 2013, at 6:41 PM, starrm9 . <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What cats!!???  I don't know nothin' bout any cats… o.O

Uh oh. Have you been cooking from De Nola's _Libro de Guisados_ cookbook, again?

======
Roast Cat as One Likes to Eat It (p. 124)

You will take the cat that is fat.  You have to slit its throat.  After
it has died, cut off the head and throw it away because it isn't
edible. They say that by eating its brains one can lose one's own
brains, sense of judgment and reason.  After skinning it very cleanly,
open it up and clean it out well.  Then wrap it in a clean linen cloth
and bury it in the ground where it has to lie for a day and a night.
Then remove it from there and put it to roast in a roaster and roast it
on the fire.  When beginning to roast, rub it with good garlic and oil.
When you have finished greasing it beat it well with a switch (bundle
of twigs?) (2)  This you have to do until it is well roasted, oiling it
and beating it.  And when it is roasted, cut it up as if it were a
rabbit or kid and put it on a large platter.  Take garlic and oil
(?liquified?) with a good broth so that it is (?quite thin?) and cast
it over the cat.  You can eat it because it is good table fare.

Note: According to a note by Dionisio Perez, cat was served disguised
as rabbit in taverns in the poorer sections of towns, but it was also
eaten and known to be cat in homes of decided taste.  Cat meat is firm
and flexible.  Interring it isn't enough to tenderize it.  It needs
beating during cooking, according to Perez's notes.

(2) After I did my translation I found one that Nige of the Cleftlands
had done.  She noted that the "switch" was probably a bundle of
rosemary used to impart a flavor and sort of tenderize the meat when
cooking. She cited another source where rosemary twigs were used to
beat a piece of meat while cooking.

Translated by Alys Katharine (Elise Fleming)

exotic-meats-msg (126K) 9/26/13 Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans, ostrich, crawfish, dormice, cat.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/exotic-meats-msg.html
======

:-)
Stefan