Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

CALONTIR Home

CALONTIR  January 2014

CALONTIR January 2014

Stefan's Florilegium article for January 2014

Stefan li Rous <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 Jan 2014 23:13:25 -0600

text/plain

Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for January detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

We had some problems with old software on the site, which caused the server the Florilegium is on to go down shortly after the New Year and then gave us problems with the Florilegium site the following week, even after the server software was updated. So my apologies for the Florilegium downtime and the lateness of this article. Hopefully this is the end of such problems for several more years. Sometime in the future I will remake the site. If any web designers would like to help, email me.

I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched something in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

You don't have to be finished with your research or have a "perfect" article. Other people can still learn from and be inspired by what you've already done. You keep the copyright and you can always update it in the future. If you're sent something, but not gotten a response, likely I didn't get it or sometimes things get lost. So please feel free to email me again. Ut's also possible that I'm waiting for some more info from you and you've missed my message.

If you see an article in a kingdom, guild or local newsletter that you think others might find useful or interesting, please consider sending me a note about it. I would appreciate the author's contact info if you have it. I will not add an article to the Florilegium without the author's permission, but many authors are too inhibited to send me their own work. If you like an article, then chances are other SCA folks will as well.

Thanks,
Stefan
--------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past twenty-four years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in research papers submitted as A&S entries.

For those who would like to have a more immediate update when files are updated, there is an RSS feed available on the site.

Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the ARCHERY section:
   16C-Arrow-Bag-art "16th Century Arrow Bag" by Seamus O'Cearbhaill.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ARCHERY/16C-Arrow-Bag-art.html
In the CLOTHING section:
   Gaelic-Dress-art "Gaelic Dress" by HL Finnacan Dub.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/Gaelic-Dress-art.html
In the FOOD-DAIRY section:
   Esy-Chees-Mkg-art "Easy Cheese Making - Acid-Coagulated Soft Cheeses in Your Own Kitchen" by Lady Wenyeva atte grene.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/Esy-Chees-Mkg-art.html
   milk-msg Medieval and modern milk.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/milk-msg.html
In the PERFORMANCE-ARTS section:
   Early-Keybrds-art "Early Keyboards and Their Music" by Domhnall O'Dochartaigh.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/Early-Keybrds-art.html
In the SCA-STORIES section:
   Lilies-Wr-Hst-art "Lilies Wars - A completely unofficial history" by Valens of Flatrock. (I-XI)
http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/Lilies-Wr-Hst-art.html
   The-Eric "The Eric" by Lady Wystl de Tretower.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/The-Eric-art.html

Here are the updated files for this month.
   dairy-prod-msg Dairy products. milk, butter, curds, cream.
   horse-recipes-msg Period horse recipes. References.
   illusion-fds-msg Medieval illusion foods. Disguised food.
   kvass-msg Russian drink made from bread or grains.
----
Copyright 2014, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

<end>
--------
   Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas [log in to unmask]
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris