SCIART-L April 2014

Back up - another aspect to consider!

Barbara Gleason <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Apr 2014 22:43:55 -0700

text/plain

Just a note to all, here is another thing to think through when deciding how and when and where to put backup drives.

I would highly recommend you have two separate, duplicate backups of some nature and hide, store offsite, etc. one of them. Why? One always thinks one is backing up to forestall the inevitable hard drive failure, but one is also possibly backing up to prevent theft of said backup drives!

Never thought about that aspect of this issue until we were burglarized 2 summers ago and hard drive were stolen...the drives we didn't hide since we didn't realize we should have!

(It didn't have a completely disastrous ending, though, as the one drive they didn't take, because it was heavily marked with name, etc. had indeed failed and been replaced by the new one, which they took. Tech folks were able to recover most files on it after the burglary.)

So, now we have two sets of backup drives, in 2 locations, well hidden or off-site. A but more hassle, but heck, well worth it!

Barbara

   _
 ( '< * -*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*—
 / ) )
 //"  "

Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene
Barbara Gleason

Store phone: 541-844-1788

2510 Willamette Street, Eugene, OR 97405

www.facebook.com/eugenewbu
www.eugene.wbu.com

On Apr 1, 2014, at 10:00 PM, SCIART-L automatic digest system wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Just wondered if this was a common thing (not being able to resize the partitions.)
>>
>> I might have to shop for another external drive, and would also appreciate any brands that are new and proven reliable. I've got OWC, Hitachis, Maxtors.
>>
>> thanks
>> Linda
>> _____________________
>> Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
>> P.O. Box 325
>> Hereford, AZ 85615
>> (520) 803-0538
>> www.lindafeltner.com

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 1 Apr 2014 10:59:06 -0700
> From:    Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: BAcking up Time Machine to the Cloud
>
> Thank you Karen. This is most helpful. With good reasoning.
> I'm trying to keep my backups current and successfully.
> I know the RAID systems have been wise.
>
> Thanks so much,
> Linda
> _____________________
> Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
> P.O. Box 325
> Hereford, AZ 85615
> (520) 803-0538
> www.lindafeltner.com
>

> On Apr 1, 2014, at 10:49 AM, Karen Ackoff wrote:
>
>> I don't backup to the cloud. For several reasons… 1) I don't have enough space on the cloud to back up my entire hard drive. 2) For security reasons; I keep tax records, receipts, etc. on my computer, and I don't want these on the cloud, regardless of security claims. I'm just not that trusting yet. I'm referring to the Apple Cloud, in regard to amount of storage space.
>>
>> I did query carbonite… and that is an option, I suppose. You can backup your hard drive, but you cannot back up any external hard drives if you use a Mac.
>>
>> Also, I only have access to DSL where I live, and it would literally take months for the first backup as upload speeds are slow.
>>
>> I'm hoping my internet upload speeds improve over time, and cloud options also improve and are affordable. But for now, I keep things at home.
>>
>> I did recently set up a RAID array (from scratch; I did not purchase an already configured RAID). I bought two 4 TB drives and set them up as a mirror RAID. It is a big improvement over the 9 (!) external hard drives that I had previously. It was just too many wires and too many plugs and not enough receptacles. The only downside, is that the RAID takes about 20-30 seconds to spin up if it is in a sleep mode. But other than that, it's great not to have to think about cloning a drive. It just works.

>> On Apr 1, 2014, at 1:39 PM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone backup their Mac Time Machine to the Cloud? What means to you use?
>>> Linda
>>> _____________________
>>> Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
>>> P.O. Box 325
>>> Hereford, AZ 85615
>>> (520) 803-0538
>>> www.lindafeltner.com

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 1 Apr 2014 14:00:35 -0400
> From:    Barbara Harmon <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: BAcking up Time Machine to the Cloud
>
> I have been on Carbonite for four years or so. Love it.
> Used it many times to save my butt or simply as convenience when traveling.
>
> I had DSL when I originally uploaded files, but I only had (I think) 500GB. I am able to backup my second 500GB drive as well.
>
> I want to hear more about the Apple Cloud too.... in the case I can ever get around to actually following through.
> ;-)
> Cheers,
> Barb
>

> Barbara Harmon
> www.barbaraharmon.com
> www.harmon-murals.blogspot.com
> 508•430•8308
>
> On Apr 1, 2014, at 1:49 PM, Karen Ackoff wrote:
>
>> I don't backup to the cloud. For several reasons… 1) I don't have enough space on the cloud to back up my entire hard drive. 2) For security reasons; I keep tax records, receipts, etc. on my computer, and I don't want these on the cloud, regardless of security claims. I'm just not that trusting yet. I'm referring to the Apple Cloud, in regard to amount of storage space.
>>
>> I did query carbonite… and that is an option, I suppose. You can backup your hard drive, but you cannot back up any external hard drives if you use a Mac.
>>
>> Also, I only have access to DSL where I live, and it would literally take months for the first backup as upload speeds are slow.
>>
>> I'm hoping my internet upload speeds improve over time, and cloud options also improve and are affordable. But for now, I keep things at home.
>>
>> I did recently set up a RAID array (from scratch; I did not purchase an already configured RAID). I bought two 4 TB drives and set them up as a mirror RAID. It is a big improvement over the 9 (!) external hard drives that I had previously. It was just too many wires and too many plugs and not enough receptacles. The only downside, is that the RAID takes about 20-30 seconds to spin up if it is in a sleep mode. But other than that, it's great not to have to think about cloning a drive. It just works.

>> On Apr 1, 2014, at 1:39 PM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone backup their Mac Time Machine to the Cloud? What means to you use?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Linda
>>> _____________________
>>> Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
>>> P.O. Box 325
>>> Hereford, AZ 85615
>>> (520) 803-0538
>>> www.lindafeltner.com

> Date:    Tue, 1 Apr 2014 14:00:51 -0400
> From:    Britt Griswold <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: question about Time Machine
>
> Check this out!  The disc utility may be able to do this...
> http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilitysize_3.htm
>
> If it was me, I would just reformat the disk as long as you are confident that all the important document on your main hard drive are in good shape, and your HD does not crash for the next day or so while the TM archive is rebuilt. Otherwise you will need a different hard drive.
>
> Britt

>>> Linda