]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CALONTIR Home

CALONTIR  May 2014

CALONTIR May 2014

Stefan's Florilegium article for May 2014

Stefan li Rous <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 18 May 2014 23:30:56 -0500

text/plain

Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for May detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month. My apologies for this month's article being about a week late. However, I get to announce that those of you wanting an easier way to see what is in the Florilegium, without paging through subsection after subsection, can now do so by looking at or downloading the filelist-list of all of the files, which has now been updated.  If this is of use/interest to you, email me and I will try to keep it more updated in the future.

I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched something in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.  Word format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

You don't have to be finished with your research or have a "perfect" article. Other people can still learn from and be inspired by what you've already done. You keep the copyright and you can always update it in the future. If you're already sent something, but haven't seen it appear in the Florilegium, please feel free to email me again. Possibly I didn't get it or I'm waiting for additional permissions or for answers to some questions or even simply having trouble with the original article format.

If you see an article in a kingdom, guild or local newsletter that you think others might find useful or interesting, please consider sending me a note about it. I would appreciate the author's contact info if you have it. I will not add an article to the Florilegium without the author's permission, but many authors are too inhibited to send me their own work. If you like an article, then chances are other SCA folks will as well.

Thanks,
Stefan
---------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past twenty-four years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

For those who would like see a complete listing of the files in the Florilegium, without paging through subsection after subsection, the listing is now available again. Just click on the filelist-list at the top of any section. You can also download this in RTF format and print it out, but be aware that it is now about 60 pages long to print.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in research papers submitted as A&S entries.

Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

THLord Stefan li Rous    Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the ACCESSORIES section:
   Cloth-Circlet-art     Creating a 12th - 15th century cloth circlet by Murienne de Corbeau.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/Cloth-Circlet-art.html
   Making-Hoods-art      "Thoughts on the Making of Hoods" by Varakreivitar Kareina Talvi Tytdr, OL.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/Making-Hoods-art.html
In the BEVERAGES section:
   The-Egg-Test-art      "The Egg Test for Period Brewers and Mead Makers" by Mistress Roheisa le Sarjent.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/The-Egg-Test-art.html
In the HERALDRY section:
   heraldc-cloth-msg     Heraldic clothing.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/heraldc-cloth-msg.html
In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
   Solar-Lantern-art     "DIY Medieval-Looking Solar Lanterns" by HL Eulalia de Ravenfeld.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HOME/Solar-Lantern-art.html
In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
   Japanse-Tanka-art     "Tanka, Tanka, Everywhere: the Tanka and its Techniques in Japanese Poetry" by Lady Ingeborg bildsbriótr Ulfsdottir.

In the SCA-CAMPING section:
   Campng-Etiqut-art     "Camping Etiquette" by Baroness Sine ni Dheaghaidh, OL.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/Campng-Etiqut-art.html

Here are the updated files for this month.
   books-Norse-msg      Books about the Norse. Reviews.
   horseradish-msg      Period use of horseradish. Recipes.
   p-archery-msg        Period archery and equipment.
   peaches-msg          Medieval peaches and peach recipes.
   pickled-foods-msg    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
   recruitment-msg      Recruitment ideas. Bringing in new members.
   Sicily-msg           Period Sicily. Culture, history, food.
   tent-sources-msg     Pavilion and canvas merchants.
----
Copyright 2014, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

<end>
--------
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris