]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CALONTIR Home

CALONTIR  November 2014

CALONTIR November 2014

Stefan, Schragger, Censorship and abuse Re: [CALONTIR] Long winded answer WAS RE: When can new people play?

Patrick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Nov 2014 09:12:37 -0600

text/plain

Stefan,

I'm going to start with something that I didn't think was needed to say
but you know, I trust Tibor. You have no permission whatsoever to repost
anything I say in these discussions anywhere.

Now, to address everything in reverse order.

The Internet is a wonderful tool. I was too busy to pay attention in
2003 when the criminal cases against Schragger were brought. When I
found out about the suit by the victims, I mixed me, laptop, couch, cold
beer, hot food, and then added a good scoop of hyperfocus. About an hour
and a half later when I couldn't ignore hunger, the food was cold and
the beer was warm. Rewarm, drink the beer, sit down again and spend more
hours on the net. All the information is out there. I didn't even cheat;
I didn't use lawyer tools or inside information to find this out. I just
used the internet. I admit though, I did not find the parents names
then, that took some other stuff. (I grabbed a guy I know who lives in
the area and asked. This isn't a big hidden thing. That entire area of
the East knows who the parents are. Find someone you know and ask. They
will likely want to know why.)

Now, as to the rest of it, and again, this is all from the public
records (the lawsuit documents, various news articles, and other stuff
you can find on the Internet). The parents met and got to know Lord Ben
at their local SCA meetings. He was a youth officer in the SCA and set
up youth classes, training, education, and generally stuff for kids. He
had the kids over to his parents farm to work with him on SCA stuff.
Sometimes the parents went, but after awhile, they just let their kids
go alone. They knew the SCA trusted Lord Ben, it made him a youth
officer, and they could trust Lord Ben because the SCA does.

Now, they find out later that their child is abused, he/she is
victimized. The abuse is ugly. (I thought about quoting some of the news
articles here, but really, no. We're not talking about one-on-one
molestation, we are discussing sexual abuse of small groups of kids.)

Now, if you're the parents, you are hurting. Your child is hurt beyond
repair. You have thousands and thousands of dollars in medical care both
now and in the future. What do you do? How do you help your child and
pay for the medical care? How do you punish the wrongdoers? How do you
ensure that this doesn't happen again? According to the literature,
these are things that a lot of victims want, and quite often, the suits
are brought for these reasons.

I don't know the answers, but, thinking about this fully, did the
parents take responsibility for their kids? I don't know, I'm not a
parent, but they did know Lord Ben. Were they wrong to file suit against
the SCA? I don't know, I'm not a parent of an abused child, but it is
something that a parent can do to help ensure abuse doesn't happen
again.

Patrick