SCIART-L November 2014

Pollinator Poster project announcement

Britt Griswold <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Nov 2014 13:13:14 -0500

text/plain

FYI,

While the pay is lousy, the cause is noble, so it may interest some of you.

Britt

_______

2015 "Carnivorous Plants of North America and Their Pollinators"
Poster Project Advertisement

The Pollinator Partnership is seeking an artist to render the 2015 Pollinator Poster, this year
focusing on "Carnivorous Plants and Their Pollinators."  To apply to illustrate the poster, please
send a one--page narrative concept idea with a draft sketch to Kelly Rourke at [log in to unmask] by
Friday, December 5, 2014. Final illustration will be due by February 2, 2015.

Background
The Pollinator Partnership (P2) is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization-- the largest organization in
the world dedicated to the protection and promotion of pollinators and their ecosystems. Birds,
bats, bees, butterflies, beetles, and other small mammals that pollinate plants are responsible for
bringing us one out of every three bites of food. They also sustain our ecosystems and produce our
natural resources by helping plants reproduce. Unfortunately they are in trouble. Some species have
seen a 90% decline in their populations over the last decade.  Without the actions of pollinators,
agricultural economies, our food supply, and surrounding landscapes would collapse.

Our Solution for Sustainability
Pollinator Partnership addresses issues of pollinator health and decline using many resources and
projects. We are dealing with a complex issue that does not have a simple solution, but by
addressing each area where pollinators interface with people we can make a significant impact in
pollinator, ecosystem, and human health.  One way we address this issue is through outreach and
education.

Purpose
Each year, the Pollinator Partnership, along with a wide range of partners (including federal
agencies, non-profits, for-profits, individuals, etc.) design and distribute an educational
pollinator poster.  About 200,000 posters are distributed throughout the United States each year.
They are one of the most popular outreach material items offered and are distributed for the cost of
shipping and handling.

P2 is seeking an artist for the 2015 pollinator poster. The theme of the 2015 pollinator poster is
carnivorous plants of North America and their pollinators.

Use
Each year's poster is unique in size and content, and the posters are enjoyed and used in a wide
variety of venues from classrooms, fairs, conferences, and offices, to homes and educational trainings.

Poster Image - Vision
The vision of the poster should focus on North American native carnivorous plants and their
pollinators. Some plant examples include venus flytrap, sundew, pitcher plants, and cobra lily. Find
additional examples here http://botany.org/Carnivorous_Plants/.

The poster is aimed at a wide-audience, including adults and children.  A scientific/naturalistic
style is preferred.  The P2 staff will work with the artist on scientific accuracy and detail.

Submittal Details
If interested in submitting a poster concept idea for consideration to render the 2015 "Carnivorous
Plants and Their Pollinators" poster please submit the below information as one PDF to Kelly Rourke
by 3PM PST on Friday, December 5, 2014:
*    Contact information (name, email, physical mailing address)
*    Background
o    Resume, CV, past projects, etc.
o    Max 2 pages
*    Narrative about the poster concept
o    Method used (digital, traditional, etc.)
o    max. 1 page, Arial, size 12, single spaced
*    Sketch of the proposed poster as digital art submitted as a pdf,
.eps., or .jpg. (300 ppi at 8.5 x11)

Timeline
A one-page narrative concept idea with a draft sketch is due to Kelly Rourke at [log in to unmask] by
Friday, December 5, 2014. Final illustration due by February 2, 2015.

Poster Size
There is flexibility with the size of the poster, but past posters have ranged from 30 in x 12 in to
30 in x 32 in (including a galley at the bottom of the poster for partner logos).  We suggest using
a standard poster size so that the poster may easily be framed.

Compensation
The Pollinator Partnership does not make any profit off of the poster and distributes them for free
(not including shipping and handling).  P2 works to create the poster each year to help educate the
public about the importance of pollinators.  The chosen artist will receive $1,000 upon completion
of the artwork and agreement and signature of contracted work for the 2015 poster.

Legal
The Pollinator Partnership will own the rights to the final submitted digital artwork.

Previous Pollinator Posters
To view past pollinator posters, please visit http://pollinator.org/posters.htm.

Questions?
Contact Kelly Rourke at [log in to unmask] or 415.362.1137

  Kelly Rourke
Program Associate
Pollinator Partnership
423 Washington Street, 5th Floor