LISTSERV Archives

COMPSTAT Home

COMPSTAT  May 2015, Week 2

COMPSTAT May 2015, Week 2

Grades

Chris Bilder <[log in to unmask]>

Computational Statistics <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 May 2015 12:54:05 -0500

text/plain

Students,

I have e-mailed to all of you a grade file for your presentation and the corresponding graded assignments that you completed. With respect to the presentations, there were 100 points possible with the grades determined as described earlier in the semester. For example, the presentation quality was 40 of the 100 points. If there was a minor quality issue, such as a couple of misspelled words, there would likely be a 0.5-1 point deducted for it. If there was a major quality issue, such as a consistent pattern of misspellings, 2-4 points would be deducted for it, which reduces the percentage grade for quality by 5-10%. I expect some of you will be happy with your grades while others may be disappointed. If you fall in the latter group, I hope you will see this as part of the learning process for what is expected with presentations like a dissertation defense, a conference presentation, a job interview presentation, or for teaching. I would be happy to meet with any of you to discuss your grade further.

With respect to the assignments, I did not grade these as closely as I did other assignments. This was because I did not write the assignments (some questions were not well written) and due to my experience level with many of the topics. To determine a grade, I simply checked for anything unusual in the assignment. If I found something, I investigated it further to determine if there was a problem. Overall, the grades were very good. The student provided answer keys are available on the graded materials web page of the course website. I have also provided a network graph showing who chose to complete which assignment on the graded materials web page. For example, five individuals chose to complete Brianna’s assignment.

All grades for the semester are available on the Blackboard website for our course. Your overall percentage and letter grade are determined using the methods given in the syllabus. If you would like to discuss your grade, please e-mail me at [log in to unmask] to set up an appointment.

Below is a summary of the grades for the course:

Mean = 87.4, Median = 87.3, SD = 6.3, high = 95.7

>=90 and <=100: 2
>=80 and <90: 5
>=70 and <80: 1

Chris