Re: specimen donations and appraisals

Michael Wilson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:20:34 +0000

text/plain

This has been an interesting discussion and one likely to go in another direction when the trading and value of types is taken into account.

But many museums now also ask for information on the legality of the specimens that are being offered or being accessioned. Have specimens been collected legally ? – and ask for copies of permits to go with the specimens.  Of course when acquiring the collection of a deceased entomologist that might be a little difficult. But the need for a paper trail with specimens is likely to increase and not fade away in the future.

Mike Wilson

Dr Michael R Wilson
Head of Entomology Section
Dept of Natural Sciences
National Museum of Wales
Cardiff, CF10 3NP, UK

Tel: +44 2920 573263
email: [log in to unmask]

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on behalf of Francisco Hita Garcia <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Wednesday, 20 January 2016 at 08:11
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: specimen donations and appraisals

Dear colleagues,
thanks for this discussion, which was very helpful for me. I have a question though. Does anyone know how to treat type specimens? They will likely be worth more than a "regular" insect specimen, but there might also be much less of a market for selling or buying types.
Thanks
Cheers
Paco
Dr. Francisco Hita Garcia

Curator of Invertebrate Zoology

Department of Natural History - Zoology
Hessisches Landesmuseum Darmstadt
Friedensplatz 1, 64283 Darmstadt
Germany

Tel.:        +49 (6151) 1657068

Email:     [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Internet:  http://www.hlmd.de
              https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Francisco_Hita_Garcia