]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ECN-L Home

ECN-L  December 2016, Week 2

ECN-L December 2016, Week 2

Re: ECN-L Digest - 13 Dec 2016 - Special issue (#2016-162)

Nicole Fisher <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Dec 2016 03:29:56 +0000

text/plain

Hi Stacey,

We have ~22,000 drawers in our collection. Drawers are being moved from the main collection to our digitisation room for specimen-level-databasing & whole drawer imaging of the collection also occurring (with 10% of drawers finished – still a way to go). So, I too was looking for a way to keep track of drawers & where we were at.

Things Pete Oboyski mentioned ring true for us too…… barcodes (or database labels) upside down on the pin, not increasing the footprint, and we also digitise all the contents of a drawer at once with not worrying if a handful of units are not digitised within a drawer (like out on loan ), or as curation & identification occurs, more will get added later. As like Pete stated – "It is easy to skip the ones already digitized when we get to that drawer”.

We initially looked at a machine readable system (ie. QR code on the outside of each drawer) but then fell back to a human readable & visual system as this worked best with volunteers & people working in the collection that didn’t have the database or a computer at the tip of their fingers.

An added benefit - as our system also acts as a location system, anyone looking at a drawer knows exactly where it goes back to into the collection and which of the 3 collection halls. I can send you the files of our tracking system. You might be able to retrofit it to your needs?

We also use a label on the outside of the drawer that tells us if –
1.) drawer is curated ready to be sent to the digitisation room (imaging at specimen level for DigiVol)  and
2.) drawer is finished being imaged at specimen level (ie. has come back from the Digitisaton room).
This gives me a quick visual of where we left off, what is ready to go to the digitisation room & what has come back from there. If there is no label yet on the drawer – that simply means it still needs curation before it can be sent to the digitasation room for processing.

Hope this helps.

Nicole