Re: shipping specimens out of US

Jason Gibbs <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:47:24 +0000

text/plain

This just happened today to someone trying to FedEx me some specimens from the US. A FedEx package from a couple of weeks ago squeaked through after some extra duties were collected, but this latest one was returned to the sender. No explanation given as far as I can tell.

Jason Gibbs
Assistant Professor
Curator, J. B. Wallis / R. E. Roughley Museum of Entomology
University of Manitoba
Department of Entomology
12 Dafoe Rd., Animal Science/Entomology Bldg. Rm. 213
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
R3T 2N2
Phone: 204-474-7485

-----Original Message-----
From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Skelley, Paul
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2017 9:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: shipping specimens out of US

Fellow travelers,
   Immediately after sending this message, I  found a package sent two weeks ago was returned because of using the wrong custom's form.  Also, it had the attached sticker, which may explain Doug's experience of requiring they be "submitted on line".  Then I saw Floyd's comments. Let me dig a bit deeper into my experiences and understanding for international packages that may help explain this mess.

   My regional distributional post office has told me on several occasions over the last couple months that -ALL- international packages -MUST- be delivered in person to the post office counter. This even includes any that are processed 'online', or that have the 2976-R form, or with any type of postage, or a 'package' of any weight. They cannot be picked up by the post man or simply delivered to the back door, as many of our institutions mail personnel do.

    At the counter, if you handled your package with the online system, the USPS clerk can simply scan it in using the preprinted bar code to acknowledge receipt, etc.  If you use the 2976-R forms, they need to manually enter the package into the system then PRINT the barcode stickers to place on each page copy of the 2976-R form. Thus, each international package NEEDS to go to the counter, and if your institution's mailing service people don't take international packages to the counter to be recorded or entered into the USPS system... then the package has a large probability of being returned.
     I am working with my mailing staff to figure out who will stand in line at the post office to deliver international packages!

Paul