]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCIART-L Home

SCIART-L  August 2017

SCIART-L August 2017

Re: It has now gotten more difficult for us to protect out images

Dwaine Best <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Aug 2017 20:11:41 -0700

text/plain

As a member of perhaps a different generation of illustrators, can you
elaborate on why watermark stripping is so worrisome. Is it because of
licensing, or theft by other artists? I'd like a better perspective of
why this google technology puts Scientific Illustrators specifically
in a perilous position.

I may be playing devil's advocate, but here it goes. What value does a
single illustration have that a missing watermark can diminish it?
Anything that's converted to pixels is able to be pirated, period. If
you're spending more and more money on anti-theft tech, you're losing
more than if you just gave the picture away. This is because, the same
programmers that are creating watermarks are the same ones that are
capable of removing them. But, aren't you creating work to generate
more work? What does it matter if a work you've created is out in the
wild without watermark? Have some way to make sure there's no doubt
that it's yours, and you'll gather more work for yourself. Otherwise,
keep your illustrations in un-digitized form to really protect them.

End of Devil's Advocate rant.

Meanwhile, here's the google blog post on the research and ways to
protect against such watermark removing algorithms:
https://research.googleblog.com/2017/08/making-visible-watermarks-more-effective.html

Deborah, what language do you code in? I know a little python and am
willing to help create something that's free for the community.