]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

5BANKSTREET Home

5BANKSTREET  October 2017

5BANKSTREET October 2017

American Literature Association Conference

Charmion Gustke <[log in to unmask]>

5 Bank Street: The Listserv for Willa Cather Scholars

Mon, 9 Oct 2017 15:36:59 +0000

text/plain

Dear Cather Scholars,

The Willa Cather Society seeks proposals for two panels for the 29th annual conference of the American Literature Association at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco on May 24-27, 2018.

As 2018 is the centenary of the publication of Cather’s My Ántonia, we will dedicate one panel to new interpretations of this pivotal novel. Topics for consideration may include:

•	Exploring My Ántonia in light of immigration and diversity in the United States;
•	My Ántonia in the classroom, with a focus on how to approach the difficult subjects of the text, such as suicide and xenophobia;
•	New readings of My Ántonia made possible by Cather’s letters;
•	My Ántonia in light of its regional and/or environmental setting.

For our second panel, we seek the best in contemporary Cather scholarship, including, but not limited to:

•	Re-assessments of Cather’s work in connection to her literary contemporaries;
•	Innovative approaches to Cather's form, and to her understanding of literary form;
•	Critical interpretations of Cather's work in relation to the arts;
•	Transdisciplinary perspectives of Cather in the context of gender and sexuality.

Please submit proposals (no longer than a page with a header including name, institutional affiliation, and e-mail contact information) no later than December 18, 2017 to Charmion Gustke, [log in to unmask] Please attach your abstract as a Word document and paste the text into your e-mail message. Acceptances will be issued by January 15, 2018.

For further information about the conference generally, please consult the ALA website at www.americanliterature.org or contact the conference director, Professor Leslie Petty via email ([log in to unmask]), with specific questions. For questions about the Cather Society panels, please contact Charmion Gustke.

Charmion E. Gustke, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English
Office: Janet Ayers Academic Center 3070
Phone: (615) 460-6902
Belmont University
1900 Belmont Blvd. | Nashville, TN 37212