]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ECN-L Home

ECN-L  June 2021, Week 1

ECN-L June 2021, Week 1

Re: 333k spp. on iNaturalist, 1/6 of all named spp...

David Howdon <[log in to unmask]>

David Howdon <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Jun 2021 10:34:47 +0100

text/plain

Non-NU Email

An alternative system used on the UK is iSpot (ispot.org.uk) which
similarly 'crowd sources' identifications.  It differs from the iNat
model in a way relevant to this discussion in that it using a
'reputation' weight to determine which identification is likely rather
than treating each vote as equal on iNat. Reputation is assigned in two
ways on the system, first a designation given by the organisers of the
system (an academic institution called the Open University) and second
it can be earned on the system by providing identifications which are
agreed by others.

iNat does have lots of nice features iSpot does not of course and
generally appears the slicker more well funded product, but I do wonder
if iNat could explore some sort of reputation based system.

More on the iSpot system at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov_pmc_articles_PMC4319112_&d=DwICaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=_ZGKLEorfDyOBCsb98Csd_eRSblG9zefL38YPE2we4Y&s=IBmiT4-UyD5SmlUEJvOOkO09lSZF126nwgyzu8Diirw&e=  for those interested.

--
David Howdon
(@BlotchedEmerald)