Re: Larva class?

James Woolley <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Nov 2021 08:05:09 -0600

text/plain

Non-NU Email

Just a couple more comments on this interesting thread.

First, I need to correct the typo in my original post, which should have read “not enough graduate students would take the course”.  We might have had better luck if we had opened to undergraduates, but at A&M that requires making it a separate course.

Second, as Luc and others have pointed out, I always covered the larvae of holometabolous and aquatic insects in my undergraduate course on insect classification and natural history, and this was fair game on tests (not identification, which was tested in the lab).  By the way, in the good old days this was two full semesters, and we could really do a lot, until my colleagues decided that was “too much entomology” for our majors (the students disagreed, vehemently).

Good to hear that immature courses are still surviving, or have until recently, at other institutions.

Jim

Jim Woolley
Professor Emeritus
Department of Entomology