SALINITY-L February 1996

Re: Re[2]: salinity in China

[log in to unmask] (Thomas-M. Stein)

Tue, 6 Feb 1996 09:54:51 +0100 (MEZ)

text/plain

Dear Mr English,

Our Department is involved in projects in China. Looking at your very
interesting information we would greatly appreciate further information
on your and your colleagues experiences and findings on salinity
in irrigation areas in China.

You will find my email and postal address below.

According to Marshall J. English
>From: "Marshall J. English" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re[2]: salinity in China
>
>The extent of the salinity problem was surprising. Approaching Ningxia
>by train along the Yellow River the terrain sometimes looked snow
>covered from the accumulation of salts on the surface. The ground was
>absolutely impermeable in places due to the accumulation of sodium.
>Crop production in much of the historically irrigated area had been
>abandoned altogether, and crop production for the province as a whole
>was about 50% below nominal levels as a consequence of salinity. The
>primary problem was a failure to dispose of drainage water.
>
>Give me a mailing adress and I will send some detailed materials.
>Included will be a complete report on the situation by another fellow
>from this university who also made the trip.
>
>M.E.

We greatly appreciate your assistance

Yours sincerely

Thomas Stein