SCIART-L  August 1996

SCIART-L August 1996

For a laugh

"Emil Huston" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 02 Aug 96 15:39:23 EST

text/plain

     For a laugh...
     Top 10 Signs You're Addicted to the 'Net' >
     >10. You wake up at 3 a.m. to go to the bathroom and stop and >
     check your e-mail on the way back to bed.

     > 9. You get a tattoo that reads "This body best viewed with >
     Netscape Navigator 1.1 or higher."

     > 8. You name your children Eudora, Mozilla and Dotcom. >
     > 7. You turn off your modem and get this awful empty feeling, >
     like you just pulled the plug on a loved one.

     > 6. You spend half of the plane trip with your laptop on your >
     lap...and your child in the overhead compartment.

     > 5. You decide to stay in college for an additional year or two, >
     just for the free Internet access.

     > 4. You laugh at people with 2400-baud modems. > > 3. You start using
     smileys in your snail mail. > > 2. The last girl you picked up was a
     JPEG. >
     > 1. Your hard drive crashes. You haven't logged in for two hours. >
     You start to twitch. You pick up the phone and manually dial >
     Your ISP's access number. You try to hum to communicate with >    the
     modem. You succeed.

From [log in to unmask] Fri Aug  2 12:01:43 1996
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 16:01:43 -0400
To: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>,
        [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)
Subject: For a laugh

     For a laugh...
     Top 10 Signs You're Addicted to the 'Net' >
     >10. You wake up at 3 a.m. to go to the bathroom and stop and >
     check your e-mail on the way back to bed.

     > 9. You get a tattoo that reads "This body best viewed with >
     Netscape Navigator 1.1 or higher."

     > 8. You name your children Eudora, Mozilla and Dotcom. >
     > 7. You turn off your modem and get this awful empty feeling, >
     like you just pulled the plug on a loved one.

     > 6. You spend half of the plane trip with your laptop on your >
     lap...and your child in the overhead compartment.

     > 5. You decide to stay in college for an additional year or two, >
     just for the free Internet access.

     > 4. You laugh at people with 2400-baud modems. > > 3. You start using
     smileys in your snail mail. > > 2. The last girl you picked up was a
     JPEG. >
     > 1. Your hard drive crashes. You haven't logged in for two hours. >
     You start to twitch. You pick up the phone and manually dial >
     Your ISP's access number. You try to hum to communicate with >    the
     modem. You succeed.

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Tue Aug  6 10:31:51 1996
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 14:31:51 -0400
To: [log in to unmask]
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)
Subject: Time Sheets and Computer Photo Prints

Two Items of interest:
1.  Clara had been asking about time tracking programs on the Mac computer.
        Here's a lead on a cheap one:
        Shareware, download it over the Web. Foriegn Languages too!
        Time Slice and TimeTracker-  www.aloha.net/~mauisw/
_____________________________
TimeTracker(tm) for Macintosh and Windows

Now in native PowerMac code for the Macintosh! (TimeTracker works with
non-PowerMac machines also). TimeTracker is an easy-to-use time-tracking
application for recording time tasks. TimeTracker is useful for
consultants, programmers, attorneys, graphic artists, or anyone who bills
for time, or just wants a simple solution for keeping track of time events.

Only $25 for the Macintosh version and $20 for the Windows version (a
portion of your registration fee goes towards protecting the Hawaiian
environment).
_________________________
TimeSlice(tm) for Macintosh

Now in native PowerMac code for the Macintosh! (TimeSlice works with
non-PowerMac machines also). TimeSlice is a time-tracking program for the
Macintosh. TimeSlice can be thought of as a TimeTracker Pro for tracking
time events.
-----------------------------

2.  I just had a Photoshop file printed out on a Pictrography 3000,  boy is
it sharp!
        I composited 5 specimen photos from 35mm B&W negs. that I had
written to Photo CD.   The resulting 10Mb Photoshop file I had printed out
as a HiRes 16K Neg to B&W Prints, an Iris Print, and a Pictrography 3000
silver-halide sublimation print (400dpi).  The Pictrography is Fantastic.
And should last as long as a Regular Photo Print.  I think they will end up
costing about $20 for each print, so they are not cheap.  But I didn't see
the inside of a darkroom either, plus I get better control of the dodging
and burning required for all my specimen photos, plus I have no plate
pastup!  Real promising.

Britt

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Tue Aug  6 09:22:10 1996
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 14:22:10 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Frank Ippolito)
Subject: Re: Time Sheets and Computer Photo Prints

> The Pictrography is Fantastic.
>And should last as long as a Regular Photo Print.  I think they will end up
>costing about $20 for each print, so they are not cheap.  But I didn't see
>the inside of a darkroom either, plus I get better control of the dodging
>and burning required for all my specimen photos, plus I have no plate
>pastup!  Real promising.

I'D SAY! Are these units B&W, as the name suggests? I wonder if they can
generally be found at most service bureaux. Any idea on the street price of
a printer?

Frnk

Frank Ippolito    [log in to unmask]
American Museum of Natural History

From [log in to unmask] Tue Aug  6 13:59:10 1996
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 17:59:10 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)
Subject: Re: Computer Photo Prints

>> The Pictrography is Fantastic.
>>And should last as long as a Regular Photo Print.  I think they will end up
>>costing about $20 for each print, so they are not cheap.  But I didn't see
>>the inside of a darkroom either, plus I get better control of the dodging
>>and burning required for all my specimen photos, plus I have no plate
>>pastup!  Real promising.
>

>I'D SAY! Are these units B&W, as the name suggests? I wonder if they can
>generally be found at most service bureaux. Any idea on the street price of
>a printer?
>
>Frank

Pictrography are Full Color printers that use a Color Ribbon, a roll of
Receiving paper, and distilled water!
This makes them excellent choices for groups who are mandated to eliminate
chemistry in the workplace.  It even produced a calibration chart on demand
that you feed back in to calibrate the system!   It makes mediocer
transparencies (density is low on film).

If you can't find them in service Bureaus in NY, you cand find them anywhere:.)
Yes I imagin they are around.  I saw an ad in some med art publication
offering the service for $20 a pop, send them files.

Cost for the Machine, assumming you already have a SCSI equipped Computer.

Goverment cost $18,000.
Supplies for 2000 copies $7000
Maintainace Agreement $1500 1st year and $2400 for the second year
Rip software for a MAC, because the printer is a dumb device  (Profesional
Output Manager) $2400
Your looking at inhouse cost of about $15 each

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug  8 06:33:11 1996
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 10:33:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Erik Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: radial gradient in Illustrator

Does anyone know if you can create a radial gradient in Illustrator, but
have it offset from the center of a circle?  I'd like to create a radial
gradient, but have it indicate light from the upper left.

Thanks,

Erik Petersen
Photolab-Graphics Dept.
Marine Biological Laboratory
Woods Hole, MA 02543
508.548.3705, ext. 7277
From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug  8 06:58:40 1996
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 10:58:40 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)
Subject: Re: radial gradient in Illustrator

>Does anyone know if you can create a radial gradient in Illustrator, but
>have it offset from the center of a circle?  I'd like to create a radial
>gradient, but have it indicate light from the upper left.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Erik Petersen

There is a gradient positioning tool in the tool pallet, beside the Blend
tool.  Click where you want the center of the fill to be and drag out to
where you want the edge of the fill to be.  This tool can be used to span a
single gradient across  Multipule objects as well by selecting all the
effected objects together before using the tool on them.

Britt

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug  8 08:13:14 1996
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 12:13:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Erik Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Thanks Britt.  I'll give it a try.

Erik Petersen
Photolab-Graphics Dept.
MBL
From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug  8 08:13:55 1996
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 96 13:13:55 EST
From: "Emil Huston" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: .RIF freebies?

     For Fractal Design Painter users:
     Does anyone know of a "freebie" spot in the Internet where I can
     update/complete my hose nozzle library?-(.RIF files). I know there are
     some goodies on the CD-ROM accompanying the program, but I don't know
     if there are any other third party developers for this kind of plugin.

     On the other hand for those of you involved in designing web pages
     here is a site for downloading good quality graphics, backgrounds and
     icons:

     http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rmccollum/robynv8a.htm#Artist
     s Avenue

     Emil

     Emil Huston
     Royal Ontario Museum
     100 Queen's Park,
     Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C6
     CANADA

From [log in to unmask] Sun Aug 11 04:55:06 1996
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 11:55:06 -0700
To: [log in to unmask]
From: john megahan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: dream machine

I've been offered an illustration position with an organization that wants
to update the computer that I'll be working on to a new Mac. My background
with computers is primarily with PC's and I don't have a great deal of
experience on Mac's. If anyone has any suggestions of what would be a good
system I'd really appreciate it. They have a budget of $5,000 to $10,000 for
it and I'd probably be looking for a CPU, Monitor, Scanner, and some sort of
data storage system like syquest. Plus any suggestions on software would be
great. I'd be planning on getting the basics of Illustrator, Freehand,
Photoshop, Q-express and Pagemaker. If there are any neat indispensible
programs that should go along with these let me know.

Thanks Much!

John Megahan

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 12 05:56:28 1996
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 09:56:28 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)
Subject: Re: dream machine

>I've been offered an illustration position with an organization that wants
>to update the computer that I'll be working on to a new Mac. My background
>with computers is primarily with PC's and I don't have a great deal of
>experience on Mac's. If anyone has any suggestions of what would be a good
>system I'd really appreciate it. They have a budget of $5,000 to $10,000 for
>it and I'd probably be looking for a CPU, Monitor, Scanner, and some sort of
>data storage system like syquest. Plus any suggestions on software would be
>great. I'd be planning on getting the basics of Illustrator, Freehand,
>Photoshop, Q-express and Pagemaker. If there are any neat indispensible
>programs that should go along with these let me know.
>

>Thanks Much!
>
>John Megahan

John,
  As is usual with computers, the longer you can wait, the more you get for
your money.  Budget for the $10,000 and you can probably get it for less
when you are ready to buy.

Right now you get more for your money buying a clone.

36 Bit Scanner- Agfa  ArcusII, Microteck ScanMaker III, or Umax PowerLook
II  $2000-2300 w/Photoshop
Zip Drive- $125 after rebate:for Service Bureau work
Zip Disks- 10/$150
Jaz Drive- $500 :Fast Removable Media for storage,takes the place of
external Hard disk
Jaz Disks- 5/$500
Monitor: Sony 20sfII $1800
Software: $1600 for the packages you listed minus 1 Illustration program.
You might be able to get by with one or the other of Illustrator or
Freehand. Illustrator can Import any EPS art at this point (also plan to
upgrade next Spring when Illustrator gets some major new improvments).

CPU
That only leaves $3325,  If you scrap the Jaz system you have enough for a
180Mhz 604 Power Tower with 24 MB RAM from Power Computing with 8x cd rom,
or a 180Mhz 604 S900 from SuperMac with 40MB RAM (which will let you
upgrade to a second processor if you are really into the Photoshop work)

At this point you don't have enough to load up on RAM which you really need
for the Photoshop work, so get a slower system (Mac 8500/150mhz-you might
be able to keep the Jaz with fewer disks), or a cheaper scanner, or
convince these guys they may not see RAM so cheap again, so throw in a
little extra money ($600 for 64Meg).

I hope they realize they need to set aside a little each year for upgrades
of software and hardware.  If they will commit to that, you could perhaps
delay some of your software purchases, and buy more hardware to get the
Dream Machine.

If you have any more description of the tasks they want you to do, I might
have different recommendations.

Britt

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 12 01:14:13 1996
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 08:14:13 -0700
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: john megahan <[log in to unmask]>

Britt,
Thanks for the suggestions. Phew this stuff really gobbles up the $$ fast!
It looks like I'll have to do some careful planning to get the system that I
want. Are prices really dropping fast right now? If so, do you think waiting
for a few months and using their old system for a while before getting this
stuff would give me significantly reduced prices?

>At this point you don't have enough to load up on RAM which you really need
>for the Photoshop work, so get a slower system (Mac 8500/150mhz-you might
>be able to keep the Jaz with fewer disks), or a cheaper scanner, or
>convince these guys they may not see RAM so cheap again, so throw in a
>little extra money ($600 for 64Meg).

Having LOTS of ram is something I'm going to insist upon. Looks like I'll be
working with color photos and illustrations quite a bit.

>I hope they realize they need to set aside a little each year for upgrades
>of software and hardware.  If they will commit to that, you could perhaps
>delay some of your software purchases, and buy more hardware to get the
>Dream Machine.

I'm sure they are well aware of the need for upgrades but I'll make sure! I
know that most computer systems have an obsolescense of a couple of years.

>If you have any more description of the tasks they want you to do, I might
>have different recommendations.

It looks like I'll be doing a lot of invertebrate illustrations. Much of my
work will be through the dissecting scope using the camera lucida. It looks
as though they do a lot of work by scanning in tracings and then doing the
final renderings on the computer. There will be quite a bit of mapping as
well as photo editing. I hope to do quite a bit of color work in the future.
It looks like I'll have to get used to pixels and a drawing tablets rather
than pigment and illustration boards!

John

John Megahan
Corvallis, OR

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 12 08:36:46 1996
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 12:36:46 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)

>Britt,
>Thanks for the suggestions. Phew this stuff really gobbles up the $$ fast!
>It looks like I'll have to do some careful planning to get the system that I
>want. Are prices really dropping fast right now? If so, do you think waiting
>for a few months and using their old system for a while before getting this
>stuff would give me significantly reduced prices?

I think you could probably shave a $1000 of the system if you can wait
until the end of the year.

>Having LOTS of ram is something I'm going to insist upon. Looks like I'll be
>working with color photos and illustrations quite a bit.
I recently bought 256 Meg of ram for $3400 <eat your heart out Frank:)>

If you end up working on electronic specimen photo pastup (B&W) I would
suggest at least 72Meg.

>It looks like I'll be doing a lot of invertebrate illustrations. Much of my
>work will be through the dissecting scope using the camera lucida. It looks
>as though they do a lot of work by scanning in tracings and then doing the
>final renderings on the computer. There will be quite a bit of mapping as
>well as photo editing. I hope to do quite a bit of color work in the future.
>It looks like I'll have to get used to pixels and a drawing tablets rather
>than pigment and illustration boards!

Illustrator for maps definately.  I your organization has access to USGS
map style data,  check out the  Map plug-in you may have heard about on
this list serve (I think it is about $150).

Britt

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 12 08:01:40 1996
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 13:01:40 EST
From: "Emil Huston" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re[2]: dream machine

You said 256 Britt?!?...

Do you open 100 100MB (billboard) pictures on your machine at once?

I've got 32RAM on a 133MHz machine, it works just find - and my Photoshop can
easily handle 10 color images (30-50MB each)at the same time.

Emil

Emil Huston
Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ont. M5S 2C6
CANADA
Author:  <[log in to unmask]> at INTERNET
Date:    12-08-96 12:45

>Britt,
>Thanks for the suggestions. Phew this stuff really gobbles up the $$ fast!
>It looks like I'll have to do some careful planning to get the system that I
>want. Are prices really dropping fast right now? If so, do you think waiting
>for a few months and using their old system for a while before getting this
>stuff would give me significantly reduced prices?

I think you could probably shave a $1000 of the system if you can wait
until the end of the year.

>Having LOTS of ram is something I'm going to insist upon. Looks like I'll be
>working with color photos and illustrations quite a bit.
I recently bought 256 Meg of ram for $3400 <eat your heart out Frank:)>

If you end up working on electronic specimen photo pastup (B&W) I would
suggest at least 72Meg.

>It looks like I'll be doing a lot of invertebrate illustrations. Much of my
>work will be through the dissecting scope using the camera lucida. It looks
>as though they do a lot of work by scanning in tracings and then doing the
>final renderings on the computer. There will be quite a bit of mapping as
>well as photo editing. I hope to do quite a bit of color work in the future.
>It looks like I'll have to get used to pixels and a drawing tablets rather
>than pigment and illustration boards!

Illustrator for maps definately.  I your organization has access to USGS
map style data,  check out the  Map plug-in you may have heard about on
this list serve (I think it is about $150).

Britt

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 12 07:14:40 1996
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 12:14:40 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Frank Ippolito)

Hi John,

I think you should think about getting the biggest, baddest computer you
can afford. You will be living with this decision for a number of years.
Software can be added along the way. Figure out what is the primary usage
and optomize for that. Choose a Mac or clone that is configured for
expansion.

>>I'd be planning on getting the basics of Illustrator, Freehand,
>>Photoshop, Q-express and Pagemaker. If there are any neat indispensible
>>programs that should go along with these let me know.

Along with losing one of the illustration programs, I would wonder if you
need both Quark and Pagemaker. You would be able to save a little more here
too.

>36 Bit Scanner- Agfa  ArcusII, Microteck ScanMaker III, or Umax PowerLook
>II  $2000-2300 w/Photoshop

A bundle with Photoshop can be a moneysaver. But if the scanner is
primarily being used for scanning rough sketches to rework in Illustrator,
24 bit good scanners are coming in under $500.

>Zip Drive- $125 after rebate:for Service Bureau work
>Zip Disks- 10/$150
>Jaz Drive- $500 :Fast Removable Media for storage,takes the place of
>external Hard disk
>Jaz Disks- 5/$500

Find out what your local service bureau is using. The Syquest EZ drive is
much faster than the Zip, with 30% more capacity. I'd wait on the Jaz and
put the money in the computer. As far as archiving, the EZ will eventually
become more expensive than the Jaz, but in the short term it is a cheaper
solution.

>At this point you don't have enough to load up on RAM which you really need
>for the Photoshop work, so get a slower system (Mac 8500/150mhz-you might
>be able to keep the Jaz with fewer disks), or a cheaper scanner, or
>convince these guys they may not see RAM so cheap again, so throw in a
>little extra money ($600 for 64Meg).

Consider 64 megs minimum for P-Shop. Get the best system you can afford
that can  be configured with at least 64 megs at puchase. 72 is better. 128
is wonderful <g>.

>>Are prices really dropping fast right now? If so, do you think waiting
for a few months and using their old system for a while before getting this
stuff would give me significantly reduced prices?<<

Prices will forever be falling. Always expect to see your investment being
offered for 30% cheaper within 6 to 12 months. What this means is you
should not be buying a system that will not be used right away, but if you
want to do the work now . . . pay now and live with the depreciating
investment.

>>Having LOTS of ram is something I'm going to insist upon. Looks like I'll be
working with color photos and illustrations quite a bit.<<

In this case, ignore the above comment about the scanner <g>.

Have fun.

Frank

Frank Ippolito    [log in to unmask]
American Museum of Natural History

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 12 05:08:44 1996
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 12:08:44 -0700
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: Launi Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: .RIF freebies?

At 01:24 PM 8/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
>     For Fractal Design Painter users:
>     Does anyone know of a "freebie" spot in the Internet where I can
>     update/complete my hose nozzle library?-(.RIF files). I know there are
>     some goodies on the CD-ROM accompanying the program, but I don't know
>     if there are any other third party developers for this kind of plugin.
>
>     On the other hand for those of you involved in designing web pages
>     here is a site for downloading good quality graphics, backgrounds and
>     icons:
>
>     http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rmccollum/robynv8a.htm#Artist
>     s Avenue
>
>     Emil
>
>     Emil Huston
>     Royal Ontario Museum
>     100 Queen's Park,
>     Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C6
>     CANADA
>

>Emil,
This is a question on Fractal Design Paint.  I have heard that it is "the
best".  Would love to see some examples of sci. illust. work done using this
program.  Any comments, suggestions?

Launi Lucas
Editorial/Biological Illustrator
Dept. of Zoology
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, B.C.  Canada
Launi Lucas

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 12 10:20:21 1996
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:20:21 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Frank Ippolito)

>I've got 32RAM on a 133MHz machine, it works just find - and my Photoshop can
>easily handle 10 color images (30-50MB each)at the same time.

???!!!!!!!!! What do you mean by "handle"? Active editing? Once the system
stops having RAM available it begins to swap out executions to the
harddrive, which is over 100 times slower than RAM.

Anyway, I have never been able to edit on images on my 72 meg system that
are over 40 megs if there are other large images open and active.

Frank

Frank Ippolito    [log in to unmask]
American Museum of Natural History

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 12 12:51:32 1996
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 16:51:32 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)

>You said 256MB Britt?!?...
>
>Do you open 100 100MB (billboard) pictures on your machine at once?
>
>I've got 32RAM on a 133MHz machine, it works just find - and my Photoshop can
>easily handle 10 color images (30-50MB each)at the same time.
>
>Emil

To Manipulate a 4x5 transparency scanned to Photo CD Pro you need up to 5
times the file size to do it all in RAM.  72Mb x 5 = 360Mb  Ooops! I'm
still a few meg short,  Better go out and buy some more! ;7)

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 12 11:47:57 1996
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 16:47:57 EST
From: "Emil Huston" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re[2]: Fractal Design Painter

     Hi Launi,

     Fractal Design Painter is the software suited for artist-centric
     approach. It is a paint program that is designed to simulate
     "natural-media" tools and textures, such as charcoal, watercolor,
     crayons, pastels, felt tip markers, oil paint, ...name it! It has also
     a very interesting feature called the Image Hose. The Image Hose uses
     special files, called Nozzle files -.RIF extension, to paint with
     pictures instead of paint. It can spray random or tiled images, such
     as leaves, grass, (or even entire bushes), arrows, coins, clouds,
     etc., etc., with every brush stroke. It is also a good program for
     animating and video editing. The only draw-back I found using this
     program is the way it manage its memory. For example loading or
     printing the same TIF file, took me five times longer using the FDP
     than it took to load/print the same file using the Photoshop. (For
     graphics professionals, Adobe Photoshop is the standard image
     software. I would call it THE indispensable image-editing and effects
     program.) What I like the most is to use FDP (thus creating
     natural-media looking art) on already created vector/raster
     illustrations in Illustrator or Photoshop.

     I would recommend you this book if you are contemplating learning more
     about FDP:

     Fractal Design Painter 3 Complete, by Karen Sperling.
     (even though version 4 for Mac is already out, the book is
     nevertheless still very useful_there are a lot of similarities between
     versions 3 and 4.)
     MIS Press,
     ISBN: 155828-459-1

     Best regards,

     Emil

     Emil Huston
     Royal Ontario Museum
     100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ont. M5S 2C6
     CANADA

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 12 13:00:47 1996
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 18:00:47 EST
From: "Emil Huston" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re[3]: dream machine

Author:  <[log in to unmask]> at INTERNET
Date:    12-08-96 16:54

I give-up!...I agree with both of you guys: If you can afford it_It doesn't hurt
to get as much RAM memory as you can!

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:40:02 -0500
Sender: [log in to unmask]
Version: 5.5 -- Copyright (c) 1991/92, Anastasios Kotsikonas
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 12 08:39:27 1996
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:39:27 -0700
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: Launi Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Fractal Design Painter

Emil,

Thanks for the execllent basic info... is just what I wanted to know.  Will
check out the publication you recommeded.

Launi

From [log in to unmask] Tue Aug 13 08:40:23 1996
Date:         Tue, 13 Aug 96 12:40:23 EDT
From: Elaine Hodges <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Regarding Illustrator vs Freehand, Jeni Fairman did a little experiment,
and plans to do more, comparing the two in their ability to reproduce
accurately a square or circle in print as instructed. The printed graphic
from Illustrator was not the size we requested; the graphic from Freehand
was exactly as requested.
  Has anyone else tried this? All we needed was a gridded square of
a specific dimension, printed on a bl/wh laser printer.

Elaine R.S. Hodges, Scientific Illustrator
MRC 169, National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, D.C. 20560
Phone: 202-357-2128, Fax: 202-786-2894
From [log in to unmask] Tue Aug 13 10:35:19 1996
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 14:35:19 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: old machine

For those of us with three year old Macs, is it better to upgrade or buy a
new system? We can add more RAM and bigger hard drives, but do new parts
cause a bottleneck in some other place ?  Even to buy a new computer, we'd
have to get extra RAM.
   My Illustrator doesn't make exact size circles, either. Would the "snap
to" function affect it?

Darcy Howard
From [log in to unmask] Tue Aug 13 11:06:03 1996
Date:         Tue, 13 Aug 96  15:06:03 EDT
From: Jennifer Fairman <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

The "snap to" function has nothing to do with what the problem is....
If you bring up "rulers in Illustrator 5.5, and draw a circle according to
the rulers...and then print and measure your printout....the circles are not to
 scale.  Maybe 6.o has fixed this problem?  I haven't tried it out yet, I just
installed it last week.

Jennifer Fairman
Scientific Illustrator
NMNH, Smithsonian

From [log in to unmask] Tue Aug 13 14:13:35 1996
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 18:13:35 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)
Subject: Re: old machine

>For those of us with three year old Macs, is it better to upgrade or buy a
>new system?

Depends on your model and your expected use and needs. Need more information.

>   My Illustrator doesn't make exact size circles, either. Would the "snap
>to" function affect it?
 It shouldn't if you use a numerical input

Britt

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Tue Aug 13 14:43:11 1996
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 18:43:11 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)

>The "snap to" function has nothing to do with what the problem is....
>If you bring up "rulers in Illustrator 5.5, and draw a circle according to
>the rulers...and then print and measure your printout....the circles are not to
> scale.  Maybe 6.o has fixed this problem?  I haven't tried it out yet, I just
>installed it last week.
>
>Jennifer Fairman

How far off was your circle. I can come close but not be sure by eye. I
find it almost impossible to draw a true circle or square without using
numerical input.  The screen will not show the ruler tick marks accurately
unless you magnify very high.  Maybe Freehand has done something to make
the positioning ability of your curser match your screen resolution at any
given magnification, sort of an auto snap to grid.  Illustrator seems to
take whatever coordinates your mouse feeds it without worrying if it is
matching the Quickdraw representation.  I can see the advantages of both
approches.

Illustrator 6 lets you modify a simple object from a specifications box.
Note that the specifications show the outer most diminsions of an object,
including stroked lines.  So a 3 in. box will read 3.014 in. with a 1 point
stroke.

the printouts I did from 6.0 using numerical control seemed to be the same
in both directions and were 3 in. on a side.  I havn't tried the same in
5.5.

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Tue Aug 13 16:35:28 1996
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 23:35:28 -0700
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: john megahan <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's a lot to chew on! I'll let you know
what my "new" system turns out to be.

John Megahan
Corvallis Oregon

From [log in to unmask] Wed Aug 14 05:43:18 1996
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 09:43:18 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

[log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold) wrote:
>1.  Clara had been asking about time tracking programs on the Mac computer.
(snip)

A simple stopwatch program is available from:
DesignSoft  1.800.426.0265

About $29.
A complete time and billing program that utilizes the StopWatch record can be
added for about $300.
The latter is much more than would be needed for just recording time spent on
a project.

KSMatz
Dept. of Human Genetics
University of Utah
From [log in to unmask] Wed Aug 14 05:21:30 1996
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 10:21:30 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Frank Ippolito)
Subject: Fractal Expression

Being we're all talking about vector programs AND natural media emulations
(in different threads). How would you all like a vector program that
emulates natural media like Painter? Aparently Fractal is poised to release
Expression, a vector drawing program that sounds killer. It somehow applies
vector macros to a path that allows it to look like all those kewl
brushstrokes in Painter. I     recieved a press release in my home E-mail.
I'll bring it in tommorrow and post it here.

Frank

Frank Ippolito    [log in to unmask]
American Museum of Natural History

From [log in to unmask] Wed Aug 14 10:15:18 1996
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 15:15:18 -0500
To: [log in to unmask]
From: [log in to unmask] (Clara R. Simpson)
Subject: actual aesthetics

Hi all:

As I walk the halls back from the xerox machine with my latest, I wonder
and pose this question:

What makes some pen and ink actually sing (as opposed to, <oh, that's very
nice>)?  Remember walking the exhibit in DC??

We have some answers, like <the right subject>, but that won't just do it.

Another thought:  why don't we have more computer art (any?) in our annual
shows?  I'd like to see it.

-enough stalling, back to work.

Clara Simpson
Field Museum

From [log in to unmask] Wed Aug 14 20:10:08 1996
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 00:10:08 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Circles in Illustrator

My circles turned out round when printed from both Illustrator 5.5 and
Freehand 5.5, using numerical input,or by holding down the shift key while
drawing using the ellipse or rectangle tools, which constrains the shape to a
perfect circle or square(works in both programs). Freehand does have a
snap-to-grid feature, which can be turned on or off, as well. If you don't
use one of these features, circles will almost always be slightly off. The
mouse can't be positioned any more accurately than the screen resolution
allows.
-Dave
From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 05:07:40 1996
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 09:07:40 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

[log in to unmask] wrote:
>For those of us with three year old Macs, is it better to upgrade or buy a
>new system? We can add more RAM and bigger hard drives, but do new parts
>cause a bottleneck in some other place ?  Even to buy a new computer, we'd
>have to get extra RAM.
>   My Illustrator doesn't make exact size circles, either. Would the "snap
>to" function affect it?
>Darcy Howard

It depends on the three year old machine's capabilities. If can be upgraded
to run Power PC applications, I would probably invest in RAM and hard drives.
A Quadra 700 is still my main project computer with RAM limited to 68MB.
Occasionally get to use the newer models that are indeed faster. So far the
difference is not great enough to warrant investing in a new computer.
Then again, computers are like airbrushes, it never hurts to have just one
more.

KSMatz
Human Genetics
University of Utah

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 06:11:19 1996
Date:         Thu, 15 Aug 96  10:11:19 EDT
From: Jennifer <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

I used numerical input and the circles were off by a good 10-15%...I mean
it was really bad!

Jennifer Fairman
Scientific Illustrator
NMNH, Smithsonian

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 06:18:01 1996
Date:         Thu, 15 Aug 96  10:18:01 EDT
From: Jennifer <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

I know about the constraining function....I used it...I am talking about
whether or not the circles are propertionally 100% to scale from screen input
, numerical or manual, to the ACTUAL printout....not whether it is a perfectly
"ROUND" circle.  I mean when I print out a circle that I told the computer
should be 2 inches in diameter....I measure the printout with a ruler...and it
comes out to be 2.4 inches....I know this is a silly simple problem, but
 in Freehand this does not occur, and in Illustrator 5.5 it does....it's
wacky!

Jennifer Fairman
Scientific Illustrator
NMNH, Smithsonian

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 05:48:08 1996
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 10:48:08 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Clara R. Simpson)
Subject: Re: Circles in Illustrator

OK, you got me:

I tried it in Illus. 6.0, fill, no stroke.  It's perfect out of our lazer
printer.  Perhaps the out put device could throw it off??

-Clara

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 08:04:05 1996
Date:         Thu, 15 Aug 96  12:04:05 EDT
From: Jennifer <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Ok....I know this is silly....but how could it be the output device if
it is accurate in Freehand but not in Illustrator 5.5? No matter...I have 6.0!

Jennifer Fairman
Scientific Illustrator
NMNH, Smithsonian

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 12:05:57 1996
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 12:05:57 +0000
From: Norm Frisch <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Circles

I'm still using Illustrator 3.0.1 [I know, for shame!], but because of
that the solution to the problem may be more obvious: If you draw a 2"
circle using numeric input, it will be 2." When you use constrain, and
are watching the size indicator in the ruler, you are actually seeing
where the cursor is, not the edge of the circle. To constrain a circle
you have to drag at about a 45 degree angle. When you do this the
cursor will be in somewhat from the edge of the circle, So when the
cursor is at 2" on the ruler, the circle will be larger.
From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 08:19:07 1996
Date:         Thu, 15 Aug 96  12:19:07 EDT
From: Jennifer <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Norm,

That is a VERY good point about the cursor...actually I never thought of
that....however, when I did this circle test, I made ruler guides at the
marks taht I wanted (0" - 2")...I even made the top left hand corner
of my image space at the 0,0 coordinates to amke sure....then I drew
the circle so that the sides snapped to those guides...but when it
printed it wasn't the right size.....I think I just had a fluke file or
something, I can't explain it.....maybe I am not thinking of something
REALLY OBVIOUS.....oh well, silly me. :)

Jennifer Fairman
Scientific Illustrator
NMNH, Smithsonian

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 08:32:50 1996
Date:         Thu, 15 Aug 96 12:32:50 EDT
From: Elaine Hodges <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

The point about the circles was not that they were not round but that
they were not the size requested.  Actually, I think we were trying to
get squares of a certain size. In Illustrator, if we asked for a
5 inch square, we got 4 1/2 inches perhaps - for example.  In Freehand
we got a 5 inch square.
  Elaine

Elaine R.S. Hodges, Scientific Illustrator
MRC 169, National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, D.C. 20560
Phone: 202-357-2128, Fax: 202-786-2894
From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 05:15:08 1996
Date:         Thu, 15 Aug 1996 09:15:08 EDT
Sender: Smithsonian Internal Discussion Group <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:     Converted from OV/VM to RFC822 format by PUMP V2.2X
From: Peter Kibbee <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      New Web location -- Almost live pictures of rhinos!
To: Multiple recipients of list SICHAT-L <[log in to unmask]>

Get your sketchbooks ready!  Elaine

        Check out www.purinacares.com! There are two video cameras in
the Zoo's Elephant House. Both female rhinos are expecting sometime in
the next few weeks. Images are supposed to be updated every minute. If
all goes well, the births will be shown more or less live!

                                       National Zoological Park
                                       202 673-4726
                                       No Pressure, No Diamonds
From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 10:11:26 1996
Date:         Thu, 15 Aug 96 14:11:26 EDT
From: Elaine Hodges <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

We're talking sizes of either circles or squares - or any other shape.
Jeni used Illustrator 5.5 but has not yet tried Ill.6.0.
  Clara - are you saying you told Illustrator 6.0 to print a circle of
a certain size and when you printed it the size was precisely what you
requested?  If you say you want a 4 inch square does the printout
measure 4 inches?
  Anyone want to try other shapes of certain sizes to see if the
printout is what you requested using Illustrator and Freehand - or
Canvas, PhotoShop, Ready-Set-Go, PageMaker, Quark? Hey, let's be
scientific here!  Try 'em all.
  My software is all old, so would not be applicable.
  Elaine

Elaine R.S. Hodges, Scientific Illustrator
MRC 169, National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, D.C. 20560
Phone: 202-357-2128, Fax: 202-786-2894
From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 14:30:20 1996
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:30:20 +0000
From: Norm Frisch <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: founders pix

Does anyone know if someone took a group shot of the founders at the
GNSI Conference in DC? I'd like to use it for the Newsletter.

Norm Frisch

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 08:58:11 1996
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 13:58:11 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Clara R. Simpson)

Elaine:

I did not do an exhaustive trial.  I just opened up a new Illustrator 6
file, chose the oval tool, used the option key to get the dialogue box, and
requested 2 inches by 2 inches.  Then I checked to make sure it had no
then a piece of that tracing paper with a blue grid on it.  It was pretty
perfect.

Part of what piqued my curiosity is this idea, perhaps nutty, that the
printer itself may distort the image when it prints it; it may have nothing
to do with the info sent to the printer.  I mean, aren't printers just
fancy xerox machines (Britt?) and can't they have distortion?  or maybe I'm
off and it's lenses in xerox machines that make the distortion.

Hey,  why doesn't someone ask Adobe?

That's my 2 cents worth (not to overrate myself!).

-Clara

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 10:06:30 1996
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 15:06:30 -0500
To: [log in to unmask]
From: [log in to unmask] (Clara R. Simpson)
Subject: budget for Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz people:

I am doing a budget for next year and wonder if I can just use 1996
conference figures or will the numbers be really different??

Thanks,
Clara Simpson
Field Museum

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 13:43:37 1996
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 17:43:37 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)
Subject: Re: Circles

I can't explain it.....maybe I am not thinking of something
>REALLY OBVIOUS.....oh well, silly me. :)
>
>Jennifer Fairman

If your circle is 20% to large, check your page set up and make sure you
are printing at 100%.  is everything else in all your other files coming
out to large, or only this one file?

Britt

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 15 12:00:20 1996
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 17:00:20 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Frank Ippolito)

Hey folks, here's the press release . . . .

Aptos, CA - June 17, 1996 - Fractal Design Corporation (NASDAQ: FRAC) today
announced a significant new product in graphic illustration software with the
introduction of Fractal Design Expression. Expression is a Natural-Media
illustration program that melds the stylistic expressiveness of vector-based
brush strokes with the speed, editability, compact file size and resolution
independence of an advanced drawing application. For the first time, computer
artists can mimic the natural look and style of traditional art tools in a
vector drawing environment.

Expression, a product developed by Creature HouseR Ltd. and Fractal Design is
available for both MacintoshR and Windowstm platforms and will be demonstrated
for the first time this week at PC Expo in New York, Fractal Design booth #3854,
Jacob Javits Convention Center.

"We are excited to bring the next generation of graphic illustration tools to
market -- the first fruit of the Fractal Design and Ray Dream merger," said Mark
Zimmer, CEO of Fractal Design. "Expression re-invents Draw in the same way that
Paintertm re-invented Paint, giving illustrators the kind of expressive freedom
that will revolutionize their creative process."

"Expression is a terrific companion to existing drawing programs like Adobe
Illustratortm, CorelDRAWtm and Macromedia FreeHandtm," said Joan Carol Brigham,
graphics analyst at International Data Corporation. "By allowing designers and
artists to add character to their vector illustrations, Fractal has really
extended the creative range of the vector medium. Expression represents an
important advancement in Natural-Media tools and in the illustration software
category," she said.

Expression combines the expressive quality of traditional art tools and human
gestures with the advantages of vector-based line art. At the heart of
Expression is its revolutionary Skeletal Stroketm technology which combines
sophisticated, multiple drawing elements into a single stroke. Each stroke is
itself a piece of vector artwork. These strokes can be applied using a wide
variety of drawing tools including freehand, Bezier pen, polyline and b-spline.
The strokes themselves remain editable, so at any time a user can select all the
strokes in a particular style and replace them with another; for example,
instantaneously turning an impressionist painting into a wood carving.

There are three different classes of strokes: Natural-Media strokes, graphic
elements, and multi-view strokes. Natural-Media strokes mimic traditional artist
tools such as brushes, pencils and pens. Graphic elements are individual vector
illustrations, similar to vector-based clip art. With Expression, these elements
can be varied based on the stroke attributes such as width, length and mitre.
Multi-view strokes are strokes that contain several different views of the same
subject, allowing the creation of special effects.

The Natural-Media experience is further enhanced by Expression's full support of
pressure sensitive tablets. Using pressure to define stroke width gives graphic
artists the same gestural freedom to sketch or draw as they would with
traditional tools. Expression also goes beyond traditional illustration programs
by supporting transparency, allowing artists to apply brush-like color build-up
effects to their illustrations.

Strokes are stored with a graphic preview in the Stroke Warehouse palette where
users can choose from pre-defined strokes, or combine any number of drawn
elements into their own custom strokes. Once defined, these strokes can be
stored in different directories and called up through the Stroke Warehouse.
Expression includes over 150 Natural-Media and multi-view strokes.

Cross Product Image Support

Expression provides strong interoperability with illustration standards such as
Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia FreeHand and CorelDRAW, with direct support for
Illustrator and Corel file formats (FreeHand reads and writes Adobe Illustrator
format). Artists can import these files, use Expression's tools to give their
art a Natural-Media flavor, and then re-incorporate these modified designs into
their layouts. A full complement of familiar Bezier drawing and editing tools
are provided within Expression's drawing environment, so artists will find it
easy to move back and forth between Expression and other vector drawing
programs. Artwork created in Fractal Design Expression can also be rasterized
and saved in bitmap file formats for import into Painter, Adobe Photoshoptm or
other image editors.

"Expression breaks the constraints of traditional drawing programs by giving me
much more freedom, with the added benefit of being fully editable," said Mark
Jenkins, senior designer at Rucker Design Group. "It's a very different way of
thinking about drawing on a computer, an approach which seems less inhibited by
the tools and more creative and spontaneous."

Key Features

Expression represents a significant achievement in drawing software, giving
computer artists a new way of working with vector-based art. Some of
Expression's key features include:

Skeletal Stroke technology allows artists to draw sophisticated multi-element
components using a single vector path. Variable-width strokes set through
pressure sensitive tablet. Vector-based transparency. A full complement of
professional level drawing tools and functionality. Pre-defined natural media
strokes, multi-view strokes, graphic element strokes, hatching, paper grain and
other vector patterns. Ability for users to define their own strokes and
patterns from any vector artwork, either created in Expression or imported from
other drawing applications. Anchoring of specific points within strokes.
Repeatable areas within strokes. Multi-view strokes that allow for
"randomization" of Natural Media. Multi-view strokes can be interpolated and
rasterized to create QuickTimetm, or AVItm movies. Multiple levels of undo.
Layers Windows and Macintosh cross-platform file compatibility.

Import/Export File Formats

Adobe Illustrator versions 3, 4, 5 and 6. CorelDRAW versions 3, 4 and 5. WMF
CGM PICT

Export Only

Adobe Photoshop 2.5, including Alpha channel support. TIFF BMP PCX EPS

Animation File Format Support (Export Only)

AVI QuickTime

System Requirements

Windows 3.1, NT, 95

Minimum system requirements for Fractal Design Expression include a 486,
Pentiumtm or Pentium Pro based computer with FPU and 8 megabytes of application
RAM when running Windows 3.1, and 12 megabytes of RAM when running Windows 95 or
Windows NT. A color display (24-bit recommended), a hard disk, and a CD-ROM
drive. For optimal performance, Fractal Design recommends 12 megabytes of RAM or
more when running Windows 3.1, and 16 megabytes of RAM or more when running
Windows 95 or NT.

Macintosh and Power Macintosh

Minimum system requirements for Fractal Design Expression include a 68K-based
Macintosh computer with FPU and 8 megabytes of RAM or a Power Macintosh with 12
megabytes of RAM; System 7.1 or later, a color display (24-bit recommended), a
hard disk and a CD-ROM drive. Fractal Design recommends 12 megabytes of
application RAM or more for 68K-based systems and 16 megabytes of RAM or more
for Power Macintosh systems.

Pricing and Availability

Fractal Design Expression is expected to be available from Fractal authorized
resellers and directly from Fractal in the third quarter of 1996 at a suggested
retail price of $449. For more information, please call 1-800-846-0111.

Frank Ippolito    [log in to unmask]
American Museum of Natural History

From [log in to unmask] Fri Aug 16 04:19:05 1996
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 08:19:05 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

[log in to unmask] (Jennifer) wrote:

>I know about the constraining function....I used it...I am talking about
>whether or not the circles are propertionally 100% to scale from screen
input
>, numerical or manual, to the ACTUAL printout....not whether it is a
perfectly
>"ROUND" circle.  I mean when I print out a circle that I told the computer
>should be 2 inches in diameter....I measure the printout with a ruler...and
it
>comes out to be 2.4 inches....I know this is a silly simple problem, but
> in Freehand this does not occur, and in Illustrator 5.5 it does....it's
>wacky!

2 to 2.4 inches-WOW!!
Double check that the printer wasn't doing a fit to page routine.
Personally I prefer FreeHand, but I know an individual that hand traps
graphics using Illustrator with 0.25 point accuracy, so I know Illustrator is
capable of fine work. Check the path offset also, the prefs could be causing
an offset of the actual line center.
Just out of curiosity--what printer, driver and/or PPD is being used?

KSMatz
Human Genetics
University of Utah

From [log in to unmask] Fri Aug 16 06:08:17 1996
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 96 11:08:17 EST
From: "Emil Huston" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: More computer humour

     YOU KNOW YOU'RE TOO SERIOUS ABOUT COMPUTERS...

     If you did an error-free installation of Windows 95.
     When your modem starts smoking.
     If no one can reach you by phone since your computer is always
     online.
     If you log-off your system because it's time to go to work.
     If you call in sick because you found a great new WWW site.
     If you can type your top 10 favorite Web sites, by heart.
     If you can locate a particular home page without using a search
     engine.
     If you download more than 20Mb from a binary newsgroup, in one
     session.
     If while reading a magazine, you look for the Zoom icon for a better
     look at a photograph.
     You comment, while watching a sunset, that the image would be
     enhanced with 10% more magenta and a higher resolution.
     If while driving down the street, you are confused by the numbers on
     the houses -they do not appear to be legitimate WWW addresses.
     When someone tells you to remember something, and you look for
     File/Save command.
     When you discover there is no little car icon with a forward arrow on
     the dashboard of your car, to make it go.
     When you think the File/Kill command should apply to your system
     administrator.
     When you find it easier to dial-up the National Weather Service
     Weather/your_town/now.html  than to simply look out the window.
     When you start using phrases like: Hungry.must-eat.food.now@home
     If you have a heart attack when you forgot to pay your phone bill and
     receive a "pending disconnection of service" notice.
     If your fingers quit moving because you've been online for 36 hours.
     When you find yourself engaged to someone you've never actually
     met; except through e-mail.
     When you log-off from a session in your favorite newsgroup... and
     your log reads:  Online time: 56 hours 24 minutes.
     If your net provider suggests you try a competitor, because you're
     exceeding 300 hours a month, connect time.
     When you add your third modem and dedicated phone line.
     You access Microsoft's Web page every Sunday morning for Brother
     Bill's sermon.
     When that 112Gb hard drive is full.
     If 133 Mhz is simply too slow.
     When your desk collapses under the weight of your computer
     peripherals.
     If you have an "online" light installed on your car to tell you when
     the engine is running.
     When you discover that in order to drive your car somewhere, you do
     not enter an  http://  or  ftp://  address.
     If you can actually talk to the computers in your new car -and
     understand what they say.
     When you modify the programming of your car's computers and
     actually get better mileage.
     When you can access the Net -via your portable and cellular phone.
     If on the way home from work, you use your portable and cellular
     phone in your car, to reprogram a Tomahawk missile, in flight, and
     redirect it to take out the joker in the Cadillac who cut you off.
     If you try to press Alt-F4 to close your car window.
     When you put a CD-ROM in your car's player.
     When someone tells you about a great new program and you're very
     disappointed to find it's on TV.
     If every sentence you utter begins with, "On the Net..."
     If you put your e-mail address in the upper left-hand corner of
     envelopes.
     When you insist on seeing the movie "The Net" -for the 63rd time.
     If you maintain more than 6 e-mail addresses. If you use more than 20
     passwords.
     If you set up a Web page for each of your kids... and your pets.
     If you don't know anyone who DOESN'T have an e-mail addresses.
     If you convince your mom that she HAS to get online because e-mail
     is so much cheaper than long distance phone charges.
     If you can write a list like this.
     If you can relate to a list like this.

     Emil
     Royal Ontario Museum

From [log in to unmask] Fri Aug 16 13:40:51 1996
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 17:40:51 -0400
To: [log in to unmask]
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)
Subject: Job opening

Job Opening
-------------
The Biochemistry Media Lab is currently looking for an Associate Media
Specialist (title code:S76FN).
The job requires basic photographic knowledge and computer experience
(preferably Macintosh) with a bitmap editing program like Photoshop, Live
Picture, Xres or ColorIt and a drawing based program like Illustrator,
Freehand, Canvas, Corel or MacDraw.

Job duties will include assistance with, but not be limited to the following:
production of color and black and white slides,
processing of color and black and white films,
labeling and/or drawing technical illustrations,
maintaining the lab's budget, billing and supplies.

The person applying should be able to convey, consult and teach faculty,
staff and graduate students about illustration layout, computers and
software. S/he should work well with others, be patient and detailed, take
direction easily, be able to work under pressure and short deadlines. A
background in any life-science would be very helpful.

BA or BS in related field and one year experience. Women and minorities are
encouraged to apply. The University of Wisconsin is an equal opportunity
employer.
--------------
Deadline for application: 8/24/96
Proposed salary range (full time):$21,129 minimum
If interested in applying for the job please contact:
Cheryl Adams
Department of Biochemistry
420 Henry Mall
Madison, WI 53706-1569
Phone:(608)262-9835
Fax:(608)262-3453
Email:[log in to unmask]
--------------
If you'd like to know more about the Media Lab, please contact:
H. Adam Steinberg
Media Lab
420 Henry Mall
Madison, WI 53706-1569
Phone:(608)262-0622
Email: [log in to unmask]
--------------

  H. Adam Steinberg       Artist/Zoologist      University of Wisconsin
[log in to unmask] 608/262-0622, 420 Henry Mall Madison, WI 53706

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 19 07:58:00 1996
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 12:58:00 EST
From: "Emil Huston" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Fractal Expression

     It's not out yet, but this software, from Fractal Design is a
     remarkable piece of computer programming that promises to set new
     drawing standards when it is released later this month. The Windows
     version is expected about a month ahead of the Mac release, but
     certainly users of either version will profit from the "Expressions"
     ability to emulate natural media effects in a vector graphics format.
     Adobe Illustrator files can be imported, and the program is the first
     to allow vector graphics to be "brushed" onto the page with a pressure
     sensitive tablet and painted over one another as if they were
     transparent.

     Emil

     Emil Huston
     Royal Ontario Museum
     Toronto, On

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 19 07:59:20 1996
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 12:59:20 -0500 (CDT)
Sender: [log in to unmask]
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: New WWW Page

For those interested in learning more about the Biological/Premedical
Illustration Program at Iowa State University, check out our web site at

http://www.biology.iastate.edu/BPMI/BPMIHomepage.html

I am trying to accumulate a list of illustration related sites. If you know
of one that I have not linked, please e-mail me at    [log in to unmask]
Also, I lost the GNSI site URL. Can somebody send?

Warren Dolphin

From [log in to unmask] Mon Aug 19 08:51:30 1996
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 13:51:30 CDT
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Pauline Tandon)

Warren,
Very nice site!great links too!!Everyone should check out the multimedia link!!

http://128.97.112.242/multi.html

on-line lecture and class notes! WAY COOL!!
Cheers, POlly

Pauline Tandon
Instructional Technology Specialist
University of Nebraska
501 Building Rm 126

From [log in to unmask] Tue Aug 20 16:28:11 1996
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 08:28:11 +0800 (CST)

From [log in to unmask] Tue Aug 20 00:16:41 1996
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 07:16:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kathy West <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

I have forgotten/lost the instructions on how to unsubscribe to the Guild
newsgroup. Could someone help me out?

Thanks-
Kathy West

From [log in to unmask] Tue Aug 20 05:26:05 1996
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 10:26:05 CDT
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Pauline Tandon)

SURE!!

TO unsubscribe: Please send a message to [log in to unmask]
with the message:     unsubscribe SciArt-L

Apparently you don't need to put your name on the end of the message,
because the list software automatically takes you off from your email tag.
Oh, please remember to turn off any signature files!!

Good luck and if you have any more questions, please let me know!Thanks, Polly

Pauline Tandon
Instructional Technology Specialist
University of Nebraska
501 Building Rm 126

From [log in to unmask] Tue Aug 20 15:13:00 1996
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 19:13:00 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)

To unsubscribe to SciArt-L

Please send a message to:      [log in to unmask]
with the message   unsubscribe SciArt-L
do not include your name, it will be picked up from the message header info.

Please remember to turn off all signature files.Thank you.

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Wed Aug 21 04:28:36 1996
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:28:36 -0500
To: [log in to unmask]
From: [log in to unmask] (Clara R. Simpson)
Subject: Santa Cruz meeting

Hi all

Let me try this again.  Kris, at least, was totally confused by what I
wrote last week.

Yes, next year's Annual Meeting of the GNSI is in Santa Cruz, 9-16 August
(just took date off the minutes..).  Come one come all, GNSI members and
non-members.

But, anyone in Santa Cruz:  Do you know yet what the conference
registration fee and housing will cost?  I need to turn in a travel budget
for next year and I would like to use as good a figure as possible.

Thanks.

Clara Simpson
Field Museum

From [log in to unmask] Wed Aug 21 07:19:53 1996
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 11:19:53 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Studio lighting

Earlier this year I installed full spectrum bulbs in the fluorescent fixtures
in my studio. Supposedly full spectrum lighting is good for our well being,
in addition to seeing colors more correctly.  I noticed both effects when I
visited a surgeon I illustrate for:  he specifies this kind of light in his
exam and operating rooms.  Whether for real or by suggestion, the net effect
for me is that I find my shop a much more cheerful place to be  |:-)
  This morning I went to the lighting supply house to get some more of the
same for my workroom, and talked to the salesman about lighting for my
studio.  He said that there is an electronic ballast available for
fluorescent fixtures that eliminates the hum, flicker and heat assosciated
with the old ballasts. It is also energy saving.   People who get headaches
from working under fluorescent light should benefit from changing to this
kind of ballast in their lights.  I plan to replace my old ballasts when they
poop out with these new ones.
  If you ever need to know, there are several names for fluorescent bulbs
like full spectrum, color corrected,  or Chroma 50.  They are less expensive
at electric supply houses than at health stores. In Little Rock, that means
$8 each as opposed to $13 each.

Darcy Howard
Mabelvale, Arkansas

From [log in to unmask] Wed Aug 21 03:47:30 1996
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 10:47:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erik Lamont Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Santa Cruz meeting
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>

Clara,

I would recommend calling or e-mailing Ann Caudle, Director of the
Scientific Illustration progam at UCSC. Her e-mail is
[log in to unmask], and the telephone number of her department is
408.459.4475. She should have all the details.

Erik Petersen

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Clara R. Simpson wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Let me try this again.  Kris, at least, was totally confused by what I
> wrote last week.
>
> Yes, next year's Annual Meeting of the GNSI is in Santa Cruz, 9-16 August
> (just took date off the minutes..).  Come one come all, GNSI members and
> non-members.
>
> But, anyone in Santa Cruz:  Do you know yet what the conference
> registration fee and housing will cost?  I need to turn in a travel budget
> for next year and I would like to use as good a figure as possible.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Clara Simpson
> Field Museum

From [log in to unmask] Wed Aug 21 14:24:03 1996
Date:         Wed, 21 Aug 96 18:24:03 EDT
From: Elaine Hodges <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: actual aesthetics
To: [log in to unmask]

What makes a pen and ink (or other art) "sing"?  I like that metaphor
very much.  Perhaps it is the quality that Natasha Florenskaya calls
"the love."  She and I see in some illustrations what we interpret as
the artist's feeling for or love of the subject matter, a sensitivity,
an understanding of the form.  At the same time there must be craftsman-
ship in the technique, competency in handling - plus sensitivity of
line and tone.  Perhaps it relates to my feeling that I am caressing
the object I am drawing, caressing each curve and angle with my pencil
or other tool.  I caress the shape because I "love," appreciate, enjoy,
understand and want to communicate its uniqueness.  Simultaneously I
enjoy the textural sensation of pen to paper or other tool to ground -
and this can translate to computer graphics techniques, though in a
different way.  If one works coarsely without regard for line variation,
tonal nuances, color relationships, the result cannot be ideal.
Also, if one cares little for the subject, just wants to get a job done,
does not look closely, the drawing will show this.
  How do the rest of you feel?
   Elaine

Elaine R.S. Hodges, Scientific Illustrator
MRC 169, National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, D.C. 20560
Phone: 202-357-2128, Fax: 202-786-2894
From [log in to unmask] Wed Aug 21 14:57:16 1996
Date:         Wed, 21 Aug 96 18:57:16 EDT
From: Elaine Hodges <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Studio lighting
To: [log in to unmask]

Are "color corrected" and Chroma 50 fluorescent bulbs (lamps) the
same as full spectrum?  This is implied by your statement but I am
not sure this is what you meant, Darcy.  I am glad that you posted
this information about the full spectrum bulbs and electronic ballasts.
We can all use it.
  Those who work a lot in color might consider covering their fluorescent
bulbs with ultra violet shields to reduce the likelihood of colors
fading. Such shields are available from conservation supply dealers
like Light Impressions (listed in Appendix of Guild Handbook). They
slide over the bulb.
  Elaine

Elaine R.S. Hodges, Scientific Illustrator
MRC 169, National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, D.C. 20560
Phone: 202-357-2128, Fax: 202-786-2894
From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 22 03:38:14 1996
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 08:38:14 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Clara R. Simpson)

Ooh, Elaine, that was lyrical.  I agree with you about caressing the form.
I was speaking specifically about pen and ink, why some looks muddy and
some is crystal clear.  I think part of it being calm enough or confident
enough to work slowly and therefore carefully.

-Clara

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 22 06:55:32 1996
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 10:55:32 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: to Elaine

Elaine,
  Your words are as poetic as your drawings |:-)
I called the electric supply house, and the salesman said yes, color
corrected, Chroma 50 and full spectrum bulbs are all the same, just different
manufacturers names.
  I enjoy your postings to sciart.  I am generally timid about writing... I
know a lot about many useless things but little about computers.  Ask me
about airbrushing. I can answer that.  Or sheetrock, since I am remodeling
:-D
  The scary part to me about putting up a message here was said best by Mark
Twain:  better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you a fool than
open your mouth and remove all doubt.
   Anyway, you keep us inspired.
Darcy
From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 22 07:01:22 1996
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 11:01:22 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: what is best about your studio?

Since I'm remodeling, I'm thinking about handy things.  What is your favorite
part of your working environment?  My stroke of genius happened the day I
screwed a paper towel holder directly to my painting easel. Now I'm thinking
about putting four more towel racks up all around the shop.
Darcy
From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 22 05:05:31 1996
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 10:05:31 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Clara R. Simpson)
Subject: Re: to Elaine

Darcy:

Your flourecent bulb info was most useful.  And there are those of us out
there that do use traditional media.  I'm about to dust off my own airbrush
skills, I'm glad to know you're out there.

Clara Simpson
Field Museum

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 22 12:29:53 1996
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 12:29:53 +0000
From: Norm Frisch <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]

About 15 years ago I bought chroma 50 bulbs for my studio from a
lighting distributor not only to save $, but also because they had
spectrum analysis graphs for bulbs of different manufacture that
plotted light intensity against wavelength so that you could tell
which wavelengths were "hot" or entirely missing. Consumer outlets
did't have this info. These graphs allowed one to pick the balanced
spectrum bulb (or combination of them) that best served their purpose
(they were all somewhat different) much as one chooses between Kodak
and Fuji film for the same reasons when taking pictures. I'd assume
that these graphs are still available, does anyone know for sure?
Also: although flourescents are more stable over time regarding light
intensity, it would be interesting to see graphs showed how certain
wavelengths might degrade faster and to a differing degree than others
From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 22 08:57:45 1996
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 12:57:45 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re Norm's question

I'll try to find out your answers about spectrum analysis of lighting . The
supply store has set out a stack of catalogs & info for me, but I don't get
into town every day.  I'll let you know what I find out next week.
  I use filtered UV fluorescents in my exposure unit to make photo stencils;
a recent trade article spoke of how rapidly the active component in these
lamps diminish.  That means although they still turn on and glow, they are
not still doing what they originally did when new.
   Actually, I just bought new light to make me feel better |:-)
Darcy
From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 22 08:58:02 1996
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 12:58:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: William Charles Ober <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Odds and ends

Many of you may remember the post I sent several weeks ago about Adobe
Illustrator not working on my new 7600.  Well, the update is this:  The
main logic board was defective, so we had that replaced.  The result is
that the computer is crashing a lot less--not mulitple daily crashes
anymore.  The other result is that Illustrator still does not work.  I
cannot save or print a file created with any color in it without the
computer crashing or quitting the application unexpectantly.  I have tried
all of your suggestions to no avail, spent untold hours on the phone for
technical support, also to no avail.  I doesn't work with all extensions
turned off.  The only answer to this that I can think of is a conflict
between the new 7600 operating system or the HP printer and Illustrator.
Is there an updated version of the operating system available?
Anyone else having this problem with their 7600?  Illustrator is now
useless to me. Everything else on the computer checked out just fine when
we had it in the shop.  Right now, the new Fractal Design program coming
out sounds like a lifesaver!  Can't wait!

The other thing I wanted to ask is if any of you know of addresses and
information on programs available on graduate, undergraduate or other
programs for Scientific Illustration?  Britt, the webb site from Iowa was
interesting. My business partner, Bill Ober, and I teach a course each
summer at the Shoals Marine Lab (Cornell and UNH) on Biological
Illustration and our students are always asking about programs they can
enroll in.  We have some info from Santa Cruz, but not a lot and also the
address for the program at Michigan. Are there others?

Elaine,  I really enjoyed your post on aesthetics.  I think you really hit
on a key issue in illustration.  Many of us who are constantly pressured
by deadlines can easily forget the pleasure that one can derive from
illustrating the things we love.  It helps to be reminded.

Claire
Medical & Scientific Illustration
Crozet, VA

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 22 10:34:58 1996
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 15:34:58 -0500
To: [log in to unmask]
From: [log in to unmask] (Clara R. Simpson)
Subject: cronaflex

Hi all:

I just got a call from Agfa which bought the last of the cronaflex from
Dupont.  I explained to her that there were people out there who would
really use the stuff.  The bottom line is how much would they actually
sell.  I explained that although architects didn't use it anymore, artists
would if they could get it.  I gave her the title of the Handbook, told her
a whole chapter depended on it etc.

Well if anyone wishes to pursue this, Agfa might not be a bad place to
start.  Of course I forgot to get her name...

-Clara

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 22 20:29:15 1996
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 96 04:29:15 PST
From: [log in to unmask] (Cook, Lynette)
To: <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re[2]: actual aesthetics

          Elaine, what you said about "the love" was very beautifully
          put.  I like to think that an artist's emotional
          identification with the art work is captured in the overall
          look and quality of the piece.

          Howevever, - and perhaps contrary to popular opinion - I'm
          not sure that "the love" MUST be there to create an
          excellent piece of art.  I think it's possible for an artist
          to become so good at his/her craft that the work is
          magnificent even if the artist didn't have any particular
          feeling for it (either for the illustration, subject matter,
          or actual specimen).  Much of illustration is pure craft.
          Once a technique is learned well, and the methods of
          execution from white paper (or blank computer screen!) to
          finished art are truly learned, I believe that a
          professional artist can execute excellent pieces over and
          over again whether the emotion is there or not.

          To go a little farther with this thought, I also believe
          it's possible for an artist to be so committed to
          professionalism, that he/she will concentrate on the width
          of line, perfection of dot, subtely of tone or shading, etc.
          JUST BECAUSE that artist is committed to given the client
          the best work possible.

          On a related, but slightly diverging note, I think it's
          easier for an artist to really "love" and connect with a
          piece of art when there is lots of pressure-free time in
          which to complete it.  How many of us can relax with our art
          work and take all the time we want to take with it?
          Personally, I find it really hard to enjoy and "caress" an
          image when I'm aware of "time's winged chariot" always
          rushing, rushing. . . . In spite of this, good work still
          gets done.

          A note on the airbrush.  It's my most valuable tool and a
          skill which I absolutely CANNOT allow to get rusty.  In
          fact, I have two airbrushes.  If one gets clogged and needs
          extensive cleaning at a bad moment (when the inevitable and
          critical deadline is near) I can whip out the other one.

          Lynette Cook
          Morrison Planetarium
From [log in to unmask] Fri Aug 23 05:08:42 1996
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:08:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: William Charles Ober <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: cronoflex

Clara:

If you could please post the phone number for Afga, I would like to persue
the cronaflex issue with them also.   I need a supply for my Biological
Illustration class.

Claire Garrison
Medical & Scientific Illustration
Crozet, VA

From [log in to unmask] Fri Aug 23 07:09:01 1996
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 11:09:01 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: cronoflex

<< If you could please post the phone number for Afga, I would like to persue
 the cronaflex issue with them also. >>

Clara,
I'd be interested in that information as well!! Thanks!

Virge
From [log in to unmask] Fri Aug 23 08:15:05 1996
Date:         Fri, 23 Aug 96 12:15:05 EDT
From: Elaine Hodges <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

After I wrote my missive responding to Clara's "singing pen and ink" it
occurred to me that I had not responded directly. Regarding pen and ink
specifically, combining advice from Gerry Hodge and Frances Zweifel in
their respective writings (and I hope you all have Frances's Handbook of
Biological Illustration) and my experience plus observation of others'
work, muddy pen and ink often is caused by stipples (dots) placed too
close together or drawn as sloppy small dashes instead of round dots,
irregular spacing when a smooth effect is desired, or general carelessness
-- lines that are not cleanly drawn, that do not taper evenly when they
should. A general rule for reduction is that the space between two dots
or two lines should be at least the diameter of the adjacent dots or lines.
If less, the marks will coalesce into a blob with more than a very small
amount of reduction. Most important is Frances Zweifel's dictum that there
should be a reason for every stipple and line. If it is unnecessary, leave
it out.  She also says that one should not depend on reduction; a large
sloppy drawing becomes a small sloppy drawing. mHer wording is better.y
  It all comes down to care and caring. Effort to do the best work
possible, to take the time to attempt "perfection," comes through in the
rendering. But sometimes we must compromise and work fast.
  Your comments on the topic of what makes a drawing "sing" or aesthetics
are stimulating. I will print them all out and send them to Gerry Hodge
and John Cody and Wes Gardner for their responses. Maybe we could put
this in the Newsletter or Journal eventually.
  We need to have this philosophic discussion, I believe.
  Elaine

Elaine R.S. Hodges, Scientific Illustrator
MRC 169, National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, D.C. 20560
Phone: 202-357-2128, Fax: 202-786-2894
From [log in to unmask] Fri Aug 23 08:36:52 1996
Date:         Fri, 23 Aug 96 12:36:52 EDT
From: Elaine Hodges <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Odds and ends
To: [log in to unmask]

To find out about scientific illustration programs, get the GNSI booklet
"Courses and Books."  Call the Guild office at 301-309-1514 to find out
when the new one will be out or if old ones still exist at the members'
price of $3.00.  Leslie Becker handles GNSI business like this. Or
maybe you officers on this list know more up-to-date info.
  Glad you all enjoy aesthetics.
Elaine

Elaine R.S. Hodges, Scientific Illustrator
MRC 169, National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, D.C. 20560
Phone: 202-357-2128, Fax: 202-786-2894
From [log in to unmask] Fri Aug 23 08:42:55 1996
Date:         Fri, 23 Aug 96 12:42:55 EDT
From: Elaine Hodges <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: cronaflex
To: [log in to unmask]

Agfa contact as of mid or early 1995: 1-800-873-2432, Carrie, or
1-800-388-2432, #4340, Mark.  I doubt that they have any Cronaflex
or Crovex left.  Somewhere in the Smithsonian are 15 large rolls that
might be available as lots of 5-6 rolls for about $3,000.00 per lot.
If anyone is interested I can check into this.
  Elaine

Elaine R.S. Hodges, Scientific Illustrator
MRC 169, National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, D.C. 20560
Phone: 202-357-2128, Fax: 202-786-2894
From [log in to unmask] Fri Aug 23 17:29:55 1996
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 21:29:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Skeen <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: actual aesthetics

Wow! Lynette you are as lyrical about professionalism as Elaine is about
loving the line or the object of the work. I would say that it is the act
of creation, the "I'm god of this page" that we all love. No matter how
pressed for time or how demanding the client, the feeling of creating a
something from a nothing, the "I did that!" is the same now as when we
were little kids. Whether it's because the beauty is in the object or in
ourselves, the act of putting on the page is the one thing that cannot be
sold, transferred or lost....

One more thought: when I began to study botanical illustration at the New
York Botanical Garden, the very first thing that Pat Kay told us was "An
artist is a human being, not a human doing." To me it is being in touch
with one's essential humanity that makes a work of art sing.

Thanks for the soapbox,

Ilene Skeen

From [log in to unmask] Wed Aug 28 06:58:24 1996
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 11:58:24 -0500
To: [log in to unmask]
From: [log in to unmask] (Clara R. Simpson)

Elaine, Lynette, Ilene et al:

These are great.

Actually I was originally asking about pen and ink specifically.  But all
the answers apply.

I can try to reconcile Lynette's and Elaine's positions as:  the important
thing, to quote my current watercolor teacher, it to focus.  The degree,
intensity of the focus make a difference.  The professionalism comes in in
being able to control the focus.  An amateur at anything doesn't really
have that control.

I suppose I am being redundant, but I am fixated on this concept.  I'm
trying to learn to apply it to everything.

-Clara

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 29 08:05:27 1996
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:05:27 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Mrs. Mac & Mr. Windows 95

Excuse my inexperience, but is there a (divorceless) way to put drawings
created in Illustrator into an article being writted in MS Word? This
husband/writer and wife/illustrator team worked well with paper and pen, but
now we are at platform odds |:-O

D Howard
From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 29 06:31:55 1996
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 96 11:31:55 CDT
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Pauline Tandon)
Subject: Re: Mrs. Mac & Mr. Windows 95

D Howard,
        Word for Windows takes an EPS file format(as well as others) for
graphics. SO save the illustrator image as an EPS file format instead of
Illustrator(remember to name the file in PC format-filename.eps)  Then copy
and paste the image in. I've tried  to import and it doesn't seem to work
me-but try it! BUT...if I copy and paste it works. You can then resize and
move the image by draggin on the corners. I hope that helps!!

OR  you can try to IMPORT the graphic into word: Dump the EPS file onto a
disk, transfer it over to the PC, Open the Word doc, position the curser
where you would like the image. Then choose Picture from the insert menu.
Select the file and choose the OK button.

I hope that works or helps!!
Polly

Pauline Tandon
Instructional Technology Specialist
University of Nebraska
501 Building Rm 126

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 29 15:51:11 1996
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 19:51:11 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Britt Griswold)

>D Howard,
>        Word for Windows takes an EPS file format(as well as others) for
>graphics. SO save the illustrator image as an EPS file format instead of
>Illustrator(remember to name the file in PC format-filename.eps)  Then copy
>and paste the image in. I've tried  to import and it doesn't seem to work
>me-but try it! BUT...if I copy and paste it works. You can then resize and
>move the image by draggin on the corners. I hope that helps!!
>
>OR  you can try to IMPORT the graphic into word: Dump the EPS file onto a
>disk, transfer it over to the PC, Open the Word doc, position the curser
>where you would like the image. Then choose Picture from the insert menu.
>Select the file and choose the OK button.
>
>I hope that works or helps!!
>Polly
>
>Pauline Tandon

If you are on different platforms, Make sure you save the Mac EPS file with
a PC preview and maybe in an earlier version also.

Another possible problem, even on the same platform is that Word may not
have an EPS acquire module installed.

Britt

Britt Griswold
Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA
Code 253,  Bldg. 8 Rm N15
Greenbelt, MD 20771
USA

From [log in to unmask] Thu Aug 29 14:03:15 1996
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 21:03:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Halford <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Excuse my inexperience, but is there a (divorceless) way to put drawings
> created in Illustrator into an article being writted in MS Word? This >
husband/writer and wife/illustrator team worked well with paper and pen,
but > now we are at platform odds |:-O > > D Howard >

(We ARE talking bitmaps here, aren't we?  Otherwise I've de-lurked in vain!)

It's been my experience that Mac and Dos have different "dialects" for the
same file format.  A scanned tiff (my preferred format) from a Mac is just
noise in many of my Dos applications.  I use a handy little shareware
product called "Graphics Workshop" to convert among several file formats,
including tiff --> tiff!  Try pre-processing your drawings through
something like GWS.  (An unsolicited testimonial -- no association with
GWS or any other commercial product!)

Steve ([log in to unmask])
Museum Technician
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada

From [log in to unmask] Fri Aug 30 02:45:33 1996
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 07:45:33 -0500 (CDT)
From: Catherine Sexton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>

> > Excuse my inexperience, but is there a (divorceless) way to put drawings
> > created in Illustrator into an article being writted in MS Word? This >
> husband/writer and wife/illustrator team worked well with paper and pen,
> but > now we are at platform odds |:-O > > D Howard >
>

> It's been my experience that Mac and Dos have different "dialects" for the
> same file format.  A scanned tiff (my preferred format) from a Mac is just
> noise in many of my Dos applications.  I use a handy little shareware
> product called "Graphics Workshop" to convert among several file formats,
> including tiff --> tiff!  Try pre-processing your drawings through
> something like GWS.  (An unsolicited testimonial -- no association with
> GWS or any other commercial product!)

Another possible utility to try is MacLink Plus - though I haven't used
it for a few years and am unsure of its current state. It used to be an
extremely useful translator. I believe it's up to version 8 now and is
available from all the usual mail order sources.

-Catherine Sexton

From [log in to unmask] Mon Sep  2 19:10:28 1996
From: Elaine King <[log in to unmask]>
To: "'Multiple recipients of list'" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 23:10:28 -0400

Hello everyone...another Elaine being heard from here. I'm not a =
bona-fide scientific illustrator yet - just an Elaine Hodges wannabe! I =
noticed that there had been some discussion about Fractal Design =
Expression. Just wanted to let you know that you can download a beta =
version from www.fractal.com
I downloaded it and have had fun playing around with it although it is a =
bit frustrating because some features don't work. You do get an overview =
of the program in a readme file which helps. I have Corel Draw and =
Fractal Design Painter and have not been able to decide if I must have =
this, too (although I suspect I will!). I was very, very disappointed =
that I could not attend the DC meeting. I live right outside the =
District and had looked forward to attending for months but as luck =
would have it, that was the week we moved. Have since been at the =
exhibit at the Smithsonian and drooled over the illustrations. A big =
wish I have is that there be more seminars or courses in the area.

I enjoy this listserv and hope to contribute again sometime
Elaine King=20

From [log in to unmask] Wed Sep  4 05:29:44 1996
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 09:29:44 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: test

Hello!

I am new to the list serve.  This is a test message to see if I am setting up
the e-mail properly.. If so, will someone acknowledge back.  Thanks!
    Amelia
From [log in to unmask] Wed Sep  4 03:43:51 1996
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 08:43:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: Catherine Sexton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: test

Hi Amelia,

Just got your message. Guess you did everything correctly.

-Catherine Sexton

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am new to the list serve.  This is a test message to see if I am setting up
> the e-mail properly.. If so, will someone acknowledge back.  Thanks!
>     Amelia

From [log in to unmask] Wed Sep  4 05:59:07 1996

From: Elaine King <[log in to unmask]>
To: "'Multiple recipients of list'" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: multiple messages
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 11:09:02 -0400

Hi all,
Sorry for multiple messages received from me. I thought I had done something wrong on this end because I didn't see my own postings.
Thank you, Polly. I think I've got it straightened out now and yes, I did get other postings!

From [log in to unmask] Wed Sep  4 05:22:08 1996
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 10:22:08 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
From: [log in to unmask] (Giselle  Thibaudeau)

Amelia,

I am on the sciart list and in fact received your test message.

Welcome and cheers, giselle

From [log in to unmask] Wed Sep  4 12:36:56 1996
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 16:36:56 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]