SALINITY-L December 1996

Introduction

[log in to unmask] (Scott Taylor)

Sun, 1 Dec 1996 14:18:58 +1100

text/plain

As sensibly suggested by Jose Antonio Cuchi-Oterino, the following is my
introduction for list members...

Who I am...

Scott Taylor
I have a BSc in soils/geomorphology with major studies in land management,
plant and animal biology, ecology and climatology from Macquarie University
- Australia.  I am currently a land resource planner with the NSW Dept. of
Land and Water Conservation.

What part of the world am I from...

Australia, specifically the sunny north coast of beautiful New South Wales.

- Why am I interested in salinity-l...

I was responsible for mapping salinity and other forms of land degradation
in the central west of NSW and during the process authored an extension
guide on salinity for our field staff.  This has been reprinted in both its
first and second editions.  We have a developing salinity problem which is
predominantly centred in our Mediterranean climate areas in the south of the
state.  We also have problems with sodic soils in many areas.  As a resource
planner, I am interested in integrated management of  all forms of land
degradation on a catchment (watershed) basis - salinity offers a potent tool
to increase interest in treating land degradation in this integrated way as
the causes and effects are widely separated.

- What your experience with salinity problems are...

My mapping, experience in resource assessment and planning  and creation of
the salinity books.

- Your specific questions or topics that you would like to see discussed...

Decision support systems for treatment; current work in development of EC1:5
to ECe conversion factors; terrain, climate and risk map models, breaking
news on salinity and sodicity, communication with other resource managers on
related aspects of land degradation identification and control

Hope to discuss the above with anyone interested, on a regular basis!

Scott Taylor
NSW Department of Land and Water Conservation
P.O. Box 371
Grafton NSW, 2460
Australia

Int. ph. 61 66 42 7799
Int. fax 61 66 43 1161

Scott Taylor
[log in to unmask]  (home)  or  [log in to unmask]  (work)
...Be a beaver - work hard, make something, share, keep getting
up when life knocks you down, look after what's yours, have respect for
what's bigger than you are and play nicely with the other animals!