LISTSERV Archives

SALINITY-L Home

SALINITY-L  August 1999

SALINITY-L August 1999

Re: Golf course water.

Jon Brandt <[log in to unmask]>

Salinity-L Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Aug 1999 10:33:55 -0500

text/plain

Paul,

Just a quick follow-up on your recent posting to the Salinity mailing list.

Irrigating with that water sounds like a disaster in the making...  The water would present very high/high sodium and salinity hazards. It would seem they'd have to dilute it so much or periodically leach the soil with clean water  - that it wouldn't be worth using the saline/sodic water in the first place.

I've got a copy of Ag. Handbook No. 60 (Saline and Alkali Soils), USDA, from 1954, that has some guidelines for the quality of irrigation water. If you don't have a copy, let me know and I can send you one via interagency mail. Also, you may want to check the website for the U.S. Salinity Laboratory in Riverside, CA (http://www.ussl.ars.usda.gov/) - they have lots of publications, models, and contact people you can consult regarding the proposal.

Other information that would be needed in order to fully evaluate the proposal are the current soil conditions of the golf course - texture, EC and SAR (from saturated paste); also would need anions and cations from the saturated paste - all of these by soil horizon.

Good luck,

Jon Brandt, CPAg/SSc
Soil Scientist - Abandoned Mine Land Program
Railroad Commission of Texas
305-8825

>>> Paul Reynolds <[log in to unmask]> 08/03/99 09:44AM >>>
Howdy folks.

I apologize for any cross postings.

We have been contacted by an entity that desires to irrigate a golf
course.  They are wanting to use a couple of wells that are at their
disposal.  The water in these wells isn't of good quality and they have
posed the question as to what levels they need to get the water down to
for successful irrigation of a golf course.

Water quality is as follows:

Na - 1200
HCO3 - 1196
SO4 - 375
CL - 900
TDS - 3200
CaCo3 - 25
%Na - 99
SAR - 99

They are wanting to mix this water with another source to improve the
quality.  Any ideas as to what they need to bring these levels down to in
order to irrigate without harmful affects?

Thanks in advance.

James Paul Reynolds, Jr., Agronomist/Soil Scientist
Ground Water Assessment Section, Water Quality Division
Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission
12100 Park 35 Circle, Bldg. F, Austin TX 78753
(512)239-4508