Hi  folks

    when speaking of paper in drawing, canvas  in painting, etc.....

     I tend to call the pencil, ink, etc as media,  but what is the 
word I am looking for the paper or canvas?

support?  foundation?  substrate?

there is a word I have used, but I swear my memory facilities are 
fading....  need this for an article I am writing...

help would be appreciated    what do you call the structure you pour 
your art out on?



Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at