The School of Music at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan invites applications for a faculty position in musicology. This is a tenure-track assistant professor appointment to begin in August 2017.
1. Teach undergraduate courses in music history.
2. Teach graduate seminars in musicology and participate in graduate thesis committees.
3. Collaborate with other faculty in related areas of expertise.
4. Recruitment, creative/scholarly activity, and service appropriate for a university faculty member.
5. Other duties as appropriate to the qualifications of the candidate and the needs of the School.
1. Doctorate in Musicology (ABD will be considered if a doctorate is expected by August 2017).
2. Record of successful teaching in music history at the college/university level.
3. Demonstrated record of professional activity and research.
4. The successful candidate will be expected to have strong interpersonal, communication, and collaborative skills.
5. Must remain active in his or her profession.
1. Ability to direct an early music performance ensemble.
2. Research or teaching experience in world music, film music, contemporary music, queer and gender studies, popular music, and/or sound studies.
3. Graduate level teaching experience.
To apply, navigate to https://www.wmujobs.org and find posting number 0603689. Please submit a cover letter highlighting your qualifications; a curriculum vitae; and a list of references. Please also arrange to have three current letters of recommendation sent electronically (Interfolio preferred, if possible) to music -at- wmich.edu. Applicants also may send letters by mail to:
Attn: Musicology Search
WMU School of Music
1903 W. Michigan Avenue
Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008–5434
The position will remain open until filled.
About the School of Music at Western Michigan University
The School of Music, along with the School of Art, and the Departments of Dance and Theatre, is a part of the College of Fine Arts. The School of Music has 44 full-time faculty and 12 staff, more than 500 music majors, and NASM accreditation. Degree programs include Bachelor and Master of Music with majors in performance, music education, composition, music therapy, and jazz studies. The most recently added music degree is a Bachelor of Science in Multimedia Arts Technology. The School of Music, an All-Steinway School, has strong partnerships with local arts organizations such as the Gilmore International Keyboard Festival, Fontana Chamber Arts, and the Kalamazoo Symphony, resulting in an impressive cadre of international guest artists appearing on campus each year.
About Western Michigan University
One of the top-100 public universities in the United States, Western Michigan University is committed to being learner centered, discovery driven and globally engaged. Founded in 1903, what was once Western Michigan College became Michigan's fourth public university in 1957. Since then, WMU has undergone dramatic growth in size and stature. Today, the University offers more than 240 academic programs to students pursuing degrees through the doctoral level. More than 20 percent of its 25,000 students are enrolled in graduate course work, studying in disciplines ranging from atomic physics and graph theory to medieval literature and blind rehabilitation. Of 101 graduate offerings available, 30 lead to a doctoral degree.
Western Michigan University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer consistent with applicable federal and state law. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Go to http://www.wmich.edu/hr/employ