Call for Papers:
MUSIC AND CLIMATE CHANGE. ARTISTIC ACTION IN TIMES OF CRISIS
Folkwang University of the Arts (Essen), 15–17 September 2023
The conference "Music and Climate Change" seeks to discuss climate phenomena and the current climate crisis from a musicological perspective.
We are interested in contributions in the following or related thematic areas:
• Arts, artistic practice and artists in the context of climate change (or sustainability, ecological justice)
• Methodological issues in the study of music and crisis (or climate change)
• Social, political, psychological functions of music in times of crisis
• Artistic engagement with climate change in the context of a musical history of crisis
• Activism and political action in music and musicology
• Border areas of music and ecology, etc.
We welcome proposals for presentations (20 minutes) in the form of an abstract (max. 2,000 characters) and a short CV (max. 500 characters). The languages of the conference are German and English, and a publication of the contributions is planned.
Please send materials to luis.cuypers -at- folkwang-uni.de
in German or English no later than February 28, 2023. Notice of selection of presentations will be sent at the end of March 2023.
There is a limited budget to fund travel and hotel expenses, primarily for student presenters.
For questions, please contact the organizers: Dr. Sara Beimdieke (University of Siegen) at beimdieke -at- musik.uni-siegen.de
Prof. (deputy) Dr. Julian Caskel (Folkwang University of the Arts) at julian.caskel -at- folkwang-uni.dehttps://musikwissenschaft.folkwang-uni.de/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/CFP_2001_26012023.pdf