It will feel different than what you usually do, but it'll be fun. I just finished illustrating a children book that my husband wrote. Like you, I didn't have much cartoon experience, but like Britt said, we all have a style, and you will find yours. This project was something totally different from what I do in my day job, but it was enjoyable. I had some frustrating moments, but it all worked out at the end.

Now, my advice to you is: Make sure you often consult with your friend, because chances are that s/he has a pretty good idea of what s/he wants you to illustrate. That will prevent some re-re-re-re-redrawing... In fact you should probably start with meeting with your friend and talk about how many illustrations s/he needs and where/how it would fit within the story. This will give you some guidelines to start. Finally, go to libraries and look at the children book section, you might find a few ideas.

Good Luck, and don't give up!

Aurore

http://www.sciencesquare.com

"J.D. Lake" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've agreed (begrudgingly) to illustrating a children's book for a friend
of mine. It's been so long since I've done any cartooning and was
wondering if anyone would have any suggestions or could direct me to some
helpful reference material. I've been staring at blank illustration board
or throwing it across the room in fits of anger since I attempted to
begin. I'm near the end of my rope. Thanks for any assistance or advice
(other than I shouldn't have agreed to do it).

Joel

This email has been scanned for all viruses by the
E.U.P. Telecommunications Consortium Internet service.

Aurore Simonnet - Scientific Illustrator
NASA EPO - Sonoma State University
http://epo.sonoma.edu

Do you Yahoo!?